200mm Katsumato Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

fullsizeoutput_17a5-600x900.jpeg003TLS_Tom_Cruise_195.jpg

My next bust will be another sculpt by Pavol Ovecka, this time depicting Ken Watanabe as Katsumato in the film The Last Samurai. I must admit that I found the film a bit boring, but it looked good at least.

Only three parts to this one:

100_7613.JPG

This looks promising, certainly better than the Postlethwaite bust, but the proof will be in the painting. The costume is a relatively simple mix of black and gold:

gnos36ayild21.jpg

So, we'll give it a go.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks a good likeness. I know what you mean about the film, a bit like Dances with wolves with big swords....only not as interesting as that sounds....

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Tim. It's a reasonable likeness, but this sculptor always makes his subjects look much older. Never got very far with Dances with Wolves either - equally boring. If you want a samurai film, go straight to the best:; Seven Samurai.

Here's the head:

100_7614.JPG100_7615.JPG100_7616.JPG

As always with these busts, you get a run for your money. It started off quite well, but then it became clear that the eyes (always the eyes!) weren't right, so I stripped it down and attacked it with a scalpel and sandpaper. Fortunately that sorted the problem, though those wrinkles made it a very difficult job.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - I won't bin it. I'm convinced that I've tried absolutely all possibilities with the head, so the state it is in now is the best I can get it, meaning that I will have to put up with one or two niggles. I've been going through a very obsessional phase lately (you can probably tell) and I have to try and bring myself out of that and relax and have fun. And that said, I'm fairly pleased with this one so far (famous last words).

Neil - The head had been given a stubble texture so I painted the hair by dry-brushing on various tones of fleshy-grey, together with a bit of stippling to blend it at the edges into the flesh colour.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job on this one so far. Looking good, though I see what you mean about the sculptor ageing him. You’ve tamed it we’ll though.
I‘ve got All three of those films on DVD, and “Samurai” is definitely the most rewatchable. I do like “Wolves“ though, It does a good job of portraying Native Americans as people rather than targets....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil - The head had been given a stubble texture so I painted the hair by dry-brushing on various tones of fleshy-grey, together with a bit of stippling to blend it at the edges into the flesh colour.
You should have left me in ignorance and awe!

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Glad you like him so far. Another one that portrays Native Americans well is Little Big Man - funny too.

Neil - Shucks!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Seen bits of the film mate but found it hard going at times.Im too fidgety for movies.
Nicely done bud.
Rich.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in, start looks promising Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ricardo - I also lack the attention span for movies or TV series at the moment - an hour's science programme at the most.

John - Welcome, welcome.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good book and film that Peter.....probably the most accurate portrayal of Custer on film..... love his gunfighter phase as well.....

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work on the head and a good face lift.

He looks 10 years younger LOL

Whilst dealing with the Work E-mails, I found a survey asking where we would prefer to work?

I put at home, so it might be a possibility to stay home until I retire!

We have two multi floor office blocks in Leeds, so it would be very lucrative to downsize to just the one, in relation to the software licencing to upgrade the server for the extra home workers.

I guess we have to offset the utility costs against no travel costs too, but I think the saved time is the greatest benefit, at the very least 12, hours a week back in my hands

We shall see.

Looks like its brightening up, after a very wet start

Have a good day with the painting and family

Happy Mid summers day too, all down hill to a ""lockdown"" Christmas?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

The remedial work was done on the lower eyelids. Many sculptors put a line there, but unless it's absolutely straight it looks a mess when you come to paint it. I've also done a bit more refining, extra highlighting etc.

I suspect that a lot of firms will switch to home working after discovering that they can operate more efficiently that way. My daughter Naomi successfully completed her first year at university from home (she's back in September though), so there are probably a lot of things that will be done that way.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Fully rested after a day off?

Looks like a clear bright day with the anticipated heat wave to come!

Back to the E-mails this morning and a longer shift too, 10-3 this week.

Have fun with the body, looks complex!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Yes, a day off was needed, so we had a trip to Tankerton:

unnamed (6).jpg

A long walk and a paddle with the dog, and now I'm ready to continue with the figure. I may add a bit more colour to it than the various blacks shown in the reference - perhaps pick out the stitching? Have a good day at the 'office'.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Perhaps a good day to paint?

Its my last 4 day week this week, so a little modelling will be a treat.

The mini heatwave seems to be arriving slowly, 16 C at 5 am, phew that was a warm start.

Off to scribe some figures and work on my road.

Hopefully a good day to start the body of the bust.

A bright palette or subdued?

Have a good day either way

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
As Jim says one of your best heads. How are you going about the armour? All plain metal or a bit of colour as well? I say armour or is it padded leather?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi the Steves.

It's been shelved. I found the armour impossible to paint cleanly. I tried various methods, but the finish on the sculpt wasn't great and it just kept ending up a complete mess.

I'm going to lay off posting anything until I get something decently finished.