28mm Ballista using Zvezda and Northstar components

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There are thick twisted ropes between the frames that give the tension to the crossbow arms. They can be seen here….
View attachment 507024
Want to know a funny thing? That ballista won’t shoot very well ;) Both of the ropes are twisted the same way, so both of the arms will get pulled in the same direction by the tension in the ropes. If you pull the string back, you’ll be going with the twist on the left-hand side (as seen from behind), and probably eventually unravel the rope there :smiling3:

Doesn’t detract from a very nice model, of course. I like the way it looks properly like wood, with some different colours of planks etc.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What with references to 'lies to children' and 'lawn ornaments (b'zugda-hiara)' I'm thinking there are some Terry Pratchett fans hereabouts! Kindred spirits!
I resemble that remark…..my favourite was Soul music….based around one joke quoting Kirsty Maccoll…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Want to know a funny thing? That ballista won’t shoot very well ;) Both of the ropes are twisted the same way, so both of the arms will get pulled in the same direction by the tension in the ropes. If you pull the string back, you’ll be going with the twist on the left-hand side (as seen from behind), and probably eventually unravel the rope there :smiling3:

Doesn’t detract from a very nice model, of course. I like the way it looks properly like wood, with some different colours of planks etc.
Yep, worked that out when I was building it Jakko…..the parts are identical…….it’s worse than that though, I glued the big arrow on incorrectly so the bowstring doesn’t even touch it……if you fired it as built it would just plane off the flights ;)
I cracked the wood colours a little while ago. Base coat the whole in something like khaki drab, drybrush with Iraqi sand, then use the Vallejo sepia wash to bring out the texture. Vary the base coat on a few bits of the construction with some of the earth colours and there’s your variation.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ash quoted by Shean Connery?
There’s a guy works down the chip shop, swear he’s elvish…..it’s in the last couple of pages and I’m sure the whole book was written just to get that joke in….
Love his description of the drummer mentality as well as the references to the Blues brothers. One of his wittiest books I felt, without the moral overtones that crept into the last few. Oh, and the welcome to Wincanton signs a little way down the road from me still say “twinned with Ahnk Morpork”…..