28mm Dwarf Onager using Zvesda and North Star parts

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
Here is some artillery for the lawn ornaments. The Onager itself is a 25mm Zvesda kit, and the little blokes are from the excellent Dwarf light infantry (really militia) box from North Star. Hope it’s of interest.
IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1886.jpeg

IMG_1887.jpeg
IMG_1888.jpeg
IMG_1889.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
Lovely figures these. Certainly some of the best faces in the range. Onager was a bit soft in detail, but it’s good enough for gaming. I know the metal should probably be a bit rustier, but dwarves are good metallurgists so have invented rustless iron…..and I liked it like that.

The rocks are ammo, and the balls are for longer range and more accurate shots, well, at least in my head they are. Really it’s because zvezda only put two projectiles in the box.

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim,
I've never done any of this type of modelling but, even though I'm in complete ignorance of the genre, I can see that this is seriously good!
Worthy of a textual (non-icon) wow!
It really is a pleasure to feast the eyes on :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi all
Here is some artillery for the lawn ornaments. The Onager itself is a 25mm Zvesda kit, and the little blokes are from the excellent Dwarf light infantry (really militia) box from North Star. Hope it’s of interest.
View attachment 503737
View attachment 503738

View attachment 503739
View attachment 503740
View attachment 503741
View attachment 503742
Lovely figures these. Certainly some of the best faces in the range. Onager was a bit soft in detail, but it’s good enough for gaming. I know the metal should probably be a bit rustier, but dwarves are good metallurgists so have invented rustless iron…..and I liked it like that.

The rocks are ammo, and the balls are for longer range and more accurate shots, well, at least in my head they are. Really it’s because zvezda only put two projectiles in the box.
Yep,that looks superb Tim,an excellent little scene :smiling3:
The figures are obviously pure class, but the groundwork and siege weapon compliment them brilliantly ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's great Tim.... Really very nice. A great finish indeed!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,
I've never done any of this type of modelling but, even though I'm in complete ignorance of the genre, I can see that this is seriously good!
Worthy of a textual (non-icon) wow!
It really is a pleasure to feast the eyes on :thumb2:
Cheers John. Extremely kind of you to say so.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep,that looks superb Tim,an excellent little scene :smiling3:
The figures are obviously pure class, but the groundwork and siege weapon compliment them brilliantly ;)
Thanks Andy. Very kind of you as always. The weapon was used more like field artillery in Roman times as I understand it, but it’s not a period I know much about so I could well be wrong. It’s a cool addition to my dwarven field force though. I’ve got a ballista to make for the other side, sort of like a big tortion powered cross bow.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Committee were also impressed Tim
They've award you The Dog's.
Unfortunately not on PC or tablet at tgd moment ,sorry .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Committee were also impressed Tim
They've award you The Dog's.
Unfortunately not on PC or tablet at tgd moment ,sorry .
Not a problem John, the Oscar’s are later tonight, so I expect the committee have a prior engagement.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not a problem John, the Oscar’s are later tonight, so I expect the committee have a prior engagement.
Just need to get off my chair and have word Tim .;)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Not something I would even attempt but you can't deny damn fine work when you see it. Looks superb Tim. A well deserved 'Dogs' my friend.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not something I would even attempt but you can't deny damn fine work when you see it. Looks superb Tim. A well deserved 'Dogs' my friend.
Many thanks. Honestly it isn’t that hard Doug, but I suppose I would say that. After all, I’ve had a lot of practice ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks quite cool :smiling3: Which game (rules) do you use this with?

As for extra ammo: airsoft pellets, maybe? I think I would have put a rock into the spoon launch arm, to better show the rocks are ammunition, too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks quite cool :smiling3: Which game (rules) do you use this with?

As for extra ammo: airsoft pellets, maybe? I think I would have put a rock into the spoon launch arm, to better show the rocks are ammunition, too.
Thanks Jakko. I currently use Oathmark rules with these. Quite simple but good fun. I know what you mean about the rocks, but I’d already stuck the ball in the spoon before I realised I had them. It will be more obvious with the ballista. That uses really big arrows…..