28mm Vickers Light Tanks Mk.II to Mk.VI (Special)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, I've finally managed to complete my set of all versions/variants of the Vickers Light Tanks, all the way from the Mk.II to the modified Mk.VI. All the rest of the Mk.VIs are in a separate post on here.
Strictly speaking I'm missing one, the Mk.VI AA Mk.I, but I've only got front views of it, and it wasn't really in service. This is also why there's no Mk.I, apart from the fact there's no model of it and it would needs be a complete scratchbuild, it wasn't in 'frontline' service

IMG_2306.JPG

Mk. II A and Bs - These are all 3D prints - with a few modifications
IMG_2307.JPGIMG_2308.JPGIMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2322.JPG
Left to right
Mk.IIA in Palestine (based on the example in Bovington)
Mk.IIB home service
Mk.IIA India Pattern
MK.IIB 6th Australian Cavalry (artwork shows this with AOS badges, but photos show no markings at all)

Mk IIIs
IMG_2310.JPGIMG_2311.JPG
IMG_2323.JPG
Home service
Egyptian Army

Mk IVs
IMG_2312.JPGIMG_2313.JPGIMG_2314.JPG
102 Officer Cadet Training Unit, Sandhurst
India Pattern

Mk V
IMG_2315.JPGIMG_2316.JPGIMG_2317.JPG
9th Lancers- there should be a regimental badge on the turret side, which I will get around to

The unique long track-base Mk.VI, which did serve in France with the BEF
IMG_2318.JPGIMG_2319.JPGIMG_2320.JPGIMG_2321.JPG

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
And again, the 'how we got to here' pics

First the Mk.IIs
IMG_2271.JPGIMG_2272.JPG
The Vickers buily IIB is distinguished by the filler cap. Major surgery was required to do the early rear hull
IMG_2273.JPG
All India Pattern Light IISs and IVs had a box cupola added to the turret top, for some reason
IMG_2274.JPGIMG_2275.JPG
By wartime, the IIs still in service had been modified with Horstman suspension, as on all later marks. Cue much carving!
Also, the turret hatch on the model looks about half the size it should be, so that was replaced

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The Mk IV India Pattern
IMG_2255.JPGIMG_2256.JPG
The India pattern Mk.IV has a completely different turret, with the extra cupola. So, that's just plasticard as a shroud with spots of cyano (cut plastic rod was too fiddly) for the prominent rivets

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Finally, the long-track Mk.VI
First remove the mudguards
IMG_2241.JPGIMG_2242.JPG
Take off the cupola. This tank was basically the India Pattern VIB, which, unlike all the previous marks, DIDN'T have a big box on top
IMG_2243.JPG
For the tracks, I used the front half of the model parts, with extensions from Warlord's ever versatile Universal Carrier kit
IMG_2244.JPG
Tracks and mudguards in place, with the front tracks thinned and detailed with rod to match
IMG_2279.JPG
I couldn't find a picture of the rear suspension, so I just cut ip some Lego pistols!
IMG_2281.JPG

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris,
Sorry mate I had completely missed this. Some great builds on show.