30th Anniversary!

P

Polux

Good Morning Sci-Fi lovers!!

Today is the 30th anniversary of the funny movie "Ghostbusters" :smiling3:

One of my favorite when I was younger!

Which are you favorites movies in your younger age?!

Fantasy:

The Never-ending Story

Ladyhawke

Sci-Fi:

Runaway (I loved those robotic spiders :P )

Blade Runner (a classic!)

Is newer, but I loved the first time I saw the Stargate movie :rolleyes:

Regards

Polux

L

Laurie

Wow Polux I thought reading the title that it was to celebrate 30 years of marriage. :sad:

But in reading I found it was much more important news :cool:

Laurie

P

Polux

Yeah!! I like your thought Laurie...!

Marriage on the Sci-Fi chat..... :D :D :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
My childhood favourites

Sci fi

Star Wars ,when it was just called Star Wars and had no title or episode number

The empire strikes back ,this had an episode number and confused us all !

Battlestar galactica , great film and fantastic to see on the big screen

Mission galactica , this was only released in a few countries

Comedies

Airplane

Airplane II

Misc

Jaws who didn't like this movie

Jaws 2 not a good movie but has a special place because it was the last time me and my dad whent to the pictures together before he passed on

These are the ones I can remember that I really enjoyed :smiling3:

P

Polux

I'm 41 !!!

30 years ago I was playing with Lego yet Laurie :P

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Blade runner - all time classic, Jaws (just the 1st one) TopGun, Goonies, Explorers

D

dubster72

Other than Disney films ( Bambi, Jungle Book) I only ever went to see sci-fi films as a kid.

The opening scene of Star Wars is one that always gives me goosebumps!

btw Alan, it was always episode IV 'A New Hope' ... that was one of the things that provoked interest. Actually in the States it provoked controversy because audiences complained they hadn't seen films I - III!

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So many favourites;

Blade Runner, Star Wars, Close Encounters, the first X I ever saw "The Thing" (John Carpenters version) and Alien

And on the TV: Star Trek, Blake's 7, for more modern TV you have to add in Farscape, Babylon 5 and Firefly.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Other than Disney films ( Bambi, Jungle Book) I only ever went to see sci-fi films as a kid.The opening scene of Star Wars is one that always gives me goosebumps!

btw Alan, it was always episode IV 'A New Hope' ... that was one of the things that provoked interest. Actually in the States it provoked controversy because audiences complained they hadn't seen films I - III!
Now Patrick I'm afraid you are wrong here , the 1977 release of star wars had no episode number nor title , I know because I saw it when it first came out and I have the original on DVD and it just has Star Wars right at the bigging :smiling3:

Just taken this off the TV of the opening credit of the 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars View attachment 93709

image.jpg

P

Polux

\ said:
Oh!! MAGNIFCENT movie, if not one of the best ;)

The "Princess Bride", I really love the vocabulary used on the book and movie!!

First Name
john
Mad Max (Mel Gibson) Close Encounters Invasion of the Body Snatchers War Of the Worlds (original) Time Machine (with albino gorillas) I could list many more but I will give others a chance

P

Polux

\ said:
Now Patrick I'm afraid you are wrong here , the 1977 release of star wars had no episode number nor title , I know because I saw it when it first came out and I have the original on DVD and it just has Star Wars right at the bigging :smiling3: Just taken this off the TV of the opening credit of the 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars View attachment 94767
I can't hear the melody Alan!! More volum please :D

And please! Silence now!

Where I leave the pop corns...? O_o

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I can't hear the melody Alan!! More volum please :D And please! Silence now!

Where I leave the pop corns...? o_O
I actually prefer this version to all the other remastered versions he did as it reminds me of how excited I was about it :D

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
How could I forget "Princess Bride".

Somewhere on the internet is a thread from someone who did a brilliant model of the cliff top duel scene, but I can't find the link again. :sad:

P

Polux

\ said:
Somewhere on the internet is a thread from someone who did a brilliant model of the cliff top duel scene, but I can't find the link again. :sad:
Yep! Really there is a model of this scene???!! :eek:

I'm wishing to see it :rolleyes:

First Name
Adrian
So how about, Planet of the Apes, the original.

Logan's Run TV series

V The Series, now that got me hooked for the week it was on.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Erin Grey, say no more

Non Sci-fi

mainly new stuff

Alias

The Last Ship

Legends

Forever

You can't beat the days of two films for 1 on a Saturday morning

Adrian

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
So how about, Planet of the Apes, the original.Logan's Run TV series

V The Series, now that got me hooked for the week it was on.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Erin Grey, say no more

Non Sci-fi

mainly new stuff

Alias

The Last Ship

Legends

Forever

You can't beat the days of two films for 1 on a Saturday morning

Adrian
Adrian have you ever seen fringe ? I like a lot of sci fi but just lately ive been into more intelligent stuff and fringe has got to be amongst the most intelligent stuff I've seen it really is good I think

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I forgot one , the life of Brian :D

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yep! Really there is a model of this scene???!! :eek:I'm wishing to see it :rolleyes:
There is but my google-fu has failed me, all I can find is a more recent thread by some guys who have done various scenes from the film in Lego.

I never saw the remake of V, but I watched the original series.

The other series as a young child were the Saturday morning repeats of 'Flash Gordon' (the original black and white version)

L

Laurie

Wot ! about Lassie Come Home. ;)

You may laugh but at the age of 5 in 1943 my Grandmother took me to see this film. The first time in a cinema the first film I ever viewed (no TV and even if my Gran had had one BBC TV Service was closed for the war).

We got there early and sat in the cinema my Gran and me. I had been primed about what I was going to experience. But all I could see were these enormous curtains. The music started playing. This was to much not what I had been promised. So I started to cry as I was disappointed. But that disappointment turned to an experience boys and girls of my age will never ever forget. It was just magic a story in real life with moving people on this monster screen in fact larger than life.

All in technicolour. All in real acting including the Collie. Starring Roddy McDowall and Elizabeth Taylor. Nominated for an Oscar.

I watched this film while evacuated during the war. To Kingston Upon Hull from London to escape Hitler's Doodlebugs. They then, the V1 that is, followed me to Hull.

I can in my mind's eye visualize the Cinema, The Royal. Now a Supermarket last time I saw it.

Lassie Come Home lived with me as 5 year old and as a memory. Think of that the first film I ever saw during a war 300 miles from home with my mum and sister but not my dad he was away. Just think of that your first film ever. Bazaar but the world was still the milkman selling milk from an churn in the street. Bananas Ice Cream and Oranges unknown. And all this with Hitler dropping this stuff around the place.

Laurie