38mm Twin Goddess Miniatures, Thornan the Dadbarian

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is finished.
20240406_151642.jpg20240406_151649.jpg20240406_151707.jpg20240406_151852.jpg20240406_152948.jpg
This is one of two Twin Goddess figures I've purchased, and the acquisition has been a useful learning experience. I've discovered just how brittle resin can be (I've had breakages on both figures - this one snapped off at the ankles), and I've seen how annoying print lines are. They cost about half (or even less) what I'd usually pay for figures, but the saving is worthless if the build quality compromises my painting. Shame, because they're both good sculpts. Still, you live and learn.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That looks great Paul.

Like you say, shame about the print lines but I bet they're hard to see with the naked eye.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Come out well Paul. Skin tones are great. As you say though print lines can be a bit of a bind on figures. Surprised about the brittleness of the figures though. The few that I’ve done have been quite robust.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That looks great Paul.

Like you say, shame about the print lines but I bet they're hard to see with the naked eye.
That's true, Andy. But they're a massive distraction, and they can make using glazes almost impossible, because they tend to pool in the tiny lines. The sword was impossible to paint to a high standard as a result of the diagonal lines across the entire surface. I've seen this figure online with the blade painted in red and white stripes to mask the print lines - ridiculous.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just echo the previous comments. Superb painting but like you say the sculpt is great but the lines let things down. I know nothing about 3D printing but if the "resolution" (not sure if that's what I mean) was better then the lines would be reduced?

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just echo the previous comments. Superb painting but like you say the sculpt is great but the lines let things down. I know nothing about 3D printing but if the "resolution" (not sure if that's what I mean) was better then the lines would be reduced?
That's right, as I understand it. Reducing layer height reduces the visibility of these lines. Perversely, cast figures can also have print lines, as the moulds are often made from printed prototypes. But it seems reasonable (to me, at least) to expect the manufacturers to eliminate layer lines before making their moulds.