54mm Dutch Belgian Royal Guard Artillery 1810

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovely work on the base Neil. Is it just a matter of glueing him in place or do you screw a rod through his heels?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
He's finished!
IMG_20190425_184042735.jpg

I weathered him with pastels, and I tried a bit of modulating of the blue and red with pastels too- I think it's helped a bit.
And of course the matt lacquer-Alclad, in this case, suggested by I can't remember who, but thank you!
I've also discovered that my sculpting is not as good as I thought it was, and that it's a good idea to be a painter as well as sculptor so that you know what's important to get right. The Shako insignia , for instance is pathetic, and the eyes need to be better.
I'm pleased with the 3D printed base, that's an idea I can develop.
I clearly need to improve ,especially on the faces(the EYES!), but I'm still getting to grips with acrylics after a lifetime of Humbrol, so every step is a new lesson learned at the moment.
Next time I am going to use some matte medium as suggested by Tim Marlowe(I think), and see how I get on with that. Hopefully I can start to get the hang of building up the colour in layers and washes rather than slathering it on in one fell swoop!
Still, for my second painted figure in almost 40 years I'm not too discouraged.
I'll post more shots in a 'completed' thread
Thanks for watching and for all the encouragement
Neil

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Neil, apologies for being late. Had a read through and its turned out nicely. :thumb2: Imagine painting your own manufactured figure...almost. Quite a learning curve using acrylics...glad Peter has given some tips on the clumping and pallette use.

Dutch-Belgian...now there's a reason why the Belgians in the central region speak Flemish and the outlying areas speak either Dutch, French or German. That was what I was told by a Belgian friend once.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A terrific effort after so long away from figures and using acrylics as well. Wonderful stuff sir.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh dear, sorry Neil, like Richard I missed this so after a full read , wow really impressed with the work you have put in .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil, apologies for being late. Had a read through and its turned out nicely. :thumb2: Imagine painting your own manufactured figure...almost. Quite a learning curve using acrylics...glad Peter has given some tips on the clumping and pallette use.

Dutch-Belgian...now there's a reason why the Belgians in the central region speak Flemish and the outlying areas speak either Dutch, French or German. That was what I was told by a Belgian friend once.

Cheers,
Richard
Welcome Richard, -better late than never, eh?
You have a point-it is like painting my own manufactured figure- I shouldn't whinge so much!

D

Deleted member 6559

Great work Neil. You're certainly getting into the swing.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Super doopah Neil.Lovely to meet you at BMSS show at Pimlico.I enjoyed chatting to you and many others.
See you at Euro maybe.
Richard.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Richard.
It was a lovely surprise to meet you too! I was surprised at how small the show was. I went to it a couple of times back in the day and it was much bigger.must be due to members falling off the perch over the years.
Hope to see you at Euro,if I can wangle a pass from the boss!
Neil