6th scale RC Jeep and crew for begineers

B

Bernard Elgar

I have had a few positive responses to a couple of posts I have made in other topics on my fist scratch build so I thought it might be a good idea to start this topic to share ideas around the building of a radio control Jeep and some figures to go with it.

My aim in this was to see if I could build something reasonably cheaply but to a fairly decent standard.

I am very much a novice at all of this. My model building last took place when very much younger and consisted of constructing some Airfix and a Revell(?) kit.

I started my creations in March this year as a project while the weather prevented me from doing work as a self employed gardener.

I chose an Electrix Boost as it is fairly cheap and roughly the right size.

I went for Foam Board again to keep cost down but also because it is easy to use.

I used KNex for the frame again for cost and ease of use.

During the build I got side tracked into adapting 12" wooden artists mannequins and sculpting heads/hands just because it took my fancy and buying bodies from the States or Hong Kong/China didn't give me the same sense of satisfaction.

I hope that anyone thinking that they would like to have a go at something similar will see that it's not too difficult given time and a lot of searching around the web asking generous people for tips and suggestions then doing a bit of lateral thinking.

e.g. Cocktail sticks are great for fastening KNex pieces and Foam Board panels into place.

I am happy to share info on bits and pieces e.g. The original 20T motor had to be changed for a "slower" 70T, the Puttees on the figures are black bra elastic secured with staples, etc.

I also have templates for the body panels as I am making a second Jeep and trailer for a friend.

I hope this doesn't come across as congratulating myself I do appreciate this is very much by (and for) a beginner,

Bern

View attachment 73518

View attachment 73519

View attachment 73520

004.JPG

003.JPG

003.JPG

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic job, I love the guys from Dads Army, that is my all time favourite program. Excellent.

Andy

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
"Capt Mannering we have hooked up the trailer " ! "Stupid boy!" . nice scratch build well done

steve

P

Polux

Yep!!!

Very nice Jeep!! With this chassis, must be a "bullet"!! ;)

First Name
Dave
Great work.And I recognised the figures before I read Skyraiders post!.

B

Bernard Elgar

Thank you all,

Yes it has been a lot of fun.

I didn't realise how tough my chassis is until I gave it a quick test drive. :smiling3:

(If the link works) Here is a video of the first time I tried the RC at home.

The music is coming from an MP3 player I have inside the dashboard.