88MM Flaks in France WW11

0ne48thtel

Guys n girls I need some help with the 88 I am about to start. I know there were some of these in France and other parts of Europe the kit I have gives three paint schemes. One winter, one for north Africa and the other is for the Eastern front. None of these really fit for where I want it to be so does anyone know if they were painted in any other schemes ie just an allover grey.Also while I am digging what units would have used them just in case they are different again to the kit info.

Thanks in advance for your help.

N

noble

The colour schemes for the 88 followed along with the same train of thought as german vehicles, at the start of the war they were painted in german gray as the war continued and the colour schemes for vehicles changed so did the artillery colours by the wars end the 88 was painted with a base coat of dark yellow and the crew applied field camouflage of olive green and red brown.

scott

0ne48thtel

\ said:
The colour schemes for the 88 followed along with the same train of thought as german vehicles, at the start of the war they were painted in german gray as the war continued and the colour schemes for vehicles changed so did the artillery colours by the wars end the 88 was painted with a base coat of dark yellow and the crew applied field camouflage of olive green and red brown.scott
Cheers Scott

T

tommy1drop

Hi Terry pretty much as Scott explained, with all German equipment used in ww2 the Germans painted according to the terrain and what ever paints were available especially near the end of the war.

Most pics of 88mm flak guns were painted in overall grey in the early stages of the war as this was the main colour for all German equipment, you can paint them in a camo scheme (ie) overall grey with brown camo, yellow with brown and green camo schemes etc.

All major units used the 88mm, Luftwaffe for air defences etc and the Wehrmacht and ss units used the 88mm flak guns.

You can get a good idea of units etc by googling and visiting Axis history forum, hope this helps

S

skipyy77

Some where left field grey in second half of the war and only painted the shield dark yellow with brown and green. I have seen some examples of all over dark yellow and grey gun, i think this is because at some point they had replaced the main gun due to damage or wear. There were so many Flak units and Anti tank regiments in France that it shouldn't matter. It will depend on the crew. A luftwaffe crew might have a grey gun as they were further from the front and didn't need to paint camo on their guns, and may have just painted the shield, but if it's a Waffen AT unit then it would be painted dark yellow with brown or and green.

I'm going to be doing an Ardennes diorama shortly with Dragons flak 36, this will have a dark yellow all over but shield will have green and brown with a light white sprayed 3/4 lightly over the shield.

View attachment 94832

flak 88.jpg

L

Laurie

Here is a load terry.

Make sure you press "here are more images".

Laurie