A 1/24 scale Aircraft SIG

A 1/24 scale aircraft super SIG

• Would you like the GB calendar for 2015 to include a 1/24 scale aircraft build

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be ridiculous man! Where on earth would I put one!

• If you vote yes, will you take part,

• or are you voting just 'cause you want to watch

• Total voters
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Mmm I'm intreagued dave :smiling3: So if all the great aircraft builders doing the spit us learners will find out just how to build this plane and make it look good :D
I'm going to make a wing spar.The real aircraft has one to give it a 6 degree dihedral.So it will work on a model.I made one from sheet aluminium when I built a vacform 1/48 Halifax a few years ago.And it worked on that model.This time I will use thick plastic card.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'm going to make a wing spar.The real aircraft has one to give it a 6 degree dihedral.So it will work on a model.
I think that's the way to go. You may need a little work on the mating surfaces, particularly of the upper wing-fuselage join, but getting the wing at the right angle is very important to the overall look and stance of the model.

If it turns out that Santa brings me one of the Airfix Spitfires I will he doing something similar.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
I have a cunning plan to fix the Spitfires wing dihedral problem.So with this build we shall see if I know what I'm doing ( or not!).
Rigging ????

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I think that's the way to go. You may need a little work on the mating surfaces, particularly of the upper wing-fuselage join, but getting the wing at the right angle is very important to the overall look and stance of the model.If it turns out that Santa brings me one of the Airfix Spitfires I will he doing something similar.

Cheers

Steve
I'm looking forward to starting the build.I enjoy solving problems like this.Its the painting I'm no good at.Unless I'm doing a factory fresh finish.The only problem I can see is getting the spar positioned so it doesn't get in the way of the cockpit assembly.But I will solve that problem one way or another.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I'm going to make a wing spar.The real aircraft has one to give it a 6 degree dihedral.So it will work on a model.I made one from sheet aluminium when I built a vacform 1/48 Halifax a few years ago.And it worked on that model.This time I will use thick plastic card.
Ah I see where your coming from I think !, what are you going to do about the wing routs? There wasn't much room to manuver on my kit

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
I'm looking forward to starting the build.I enjoy solving problems like this.Its the painting I'm no good at.Unless I'm doing a factory fresh finish.The only problem I can see is getting the spar positioned so it doesn't get in the way of the cockpit assembly.But I will solve that problem one way or another.
Would a piece of plastic card on the underside of the wing super glued into place filled and sanded be sufficient as I have this kit also and how would one measure the the 6 degree angle required I do have a protractor would one make a jig using this as a guide I normally "eye" things up but as everyone will be making extra special efforts I thought I should go the extra mile

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've been pondering what to do with my Hurricane; factory finish, lightly weathered ready to scramble, panels off for maintenance/re-arm? After market decals? Mmmmm.

P

Polux

I decided mine Rick ;)

Out of box, with some scratch build pieces, an absolutely different paintwork.... I don't like the markings and the general colour of the Typhoon :smiling3:

Z

Ziper_it

So you guys already started studying, mmmh, then I should start too.

I'm with the spit so dihedral is something I should try to correct.

Ouch, only 10 days to go!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've closely examined the box under the Xmas tree and I'm pretty sure it's not one of the 'old' Airfix kits. This allows for some interesting speculation on my part. I have established, after close interrogation of both daughters, that it is 1/24 and it is an aeroplane, more than that neither would reveal, even in the face of the direst threats I could muster :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
. after close interrogation of both daughters, that it is 1/24 and it is an aeroplane, more than that neither would reveal, even in the face of the direst threats I could muster :smiling3: Cheers

Steve
Did you try bribing them with chocolate? It works on my daughter.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Did you try bribing them with chocolate? It works on my daughter.
Their a bit too old for that....I did mention upcoming car insurance premiums to be paid with a 'loan' from yours truly, but they didn't crack :smiling3:

If I tried to peek under the wrapping and one of them, or more likely SWMBO, spotted it I'd be spending Xmas in the shed eating cold Brussels sprouts :smiling3:

I managed this whilst they are all out at something called 'the shops'.

I'm thinking Trumpeter, and they might have gone for something German as there's a lot of that on the shelves in the front room!

I now need to reposition it EXACTLY as it was :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Their a bit too old for that....I did mention upcoming car insurance premiums to be paid with a 'loan' from yours truly, but they didn't crack :smiling3: If I tried to peek under the wrapping and one of them, or more likely SWMBO, spotted it I'd be spending Xmas in the shed eating cold Brussels sprouts :smiling3:

I managed this whilst they are all out at something called 'the shops'.

I'm thinking Trumpeter, and they might have gone for something German as there's a lot of that on the shelves in the front room!

I now need to reposition it EXACTLY as it was :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
Please don't be the trumpy hurricane, that's what I'm building :sad: box looks about the same !

P

Polux

What a mistery!!! :D

Can be the Typhoon? The box is near 5 inch tall....O_o

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Would a piece of plastic card on the underside of the wing super glued into place filled and sanded be sufficient as I have this kit also and how would one measure the the 6 degree angle required I do have a protractor would one make a jig using this as a guide I normally "eye" things up but as everyone will be making extra special efforts I thought I should go the extra mile
I will probably do it by eye.The lower wing in the kit is attached to a thick sprue and looks like it's got the correct dihedral.So I will cut that off and fix the wing to a flat piece of wood.Then support the wing tips at equal heights and work on it from there, building a spar from thick plastic card and what ever I have to hand.I will have to build the cockpit and fuselage first to see where to put the spar so that it doesn't foul on any of the cockpit bulkheads.Then I may need to trim the inboard edges of the upper wing halves to get them to fit.We shall see.No doubt there will be a few unforeseen problems to solve.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
What a mistery!!! :D Can be the Typhoon? The box is near 5 inch tall....o_O
Box is just less than 4 inches tall. I did think of the Typhoon but I think not now :smiling3:

The girls will be back soon and I'll try another tactic (maybe involving chocolate as suggested above). If all else fails I'll know in a couple of days anyway.

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

\ said:
The girls will be back soon and I'll try another tactic (maybe involving chocolate as suggested above).
You can try an "intimidation" tactic....you can explain all the English members of the forum, Italian, Catalans and more are waiting for a clue :D :D :D

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Box is just less than 4 inches tall. I did think of the Typhoon but I think not now :smiling3: The girls will be back soon and I'll try another tactic (maybe involving chocolate as suggested above). If all else fails I'll know in a couple of days anyway.

Cheers

Steve
Best wait until the day.For me,It takes away some of the pleasure if you know what you are going to get before hand .