A 1/72 scale Luftwaffe "dio"

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
the techniques and methods are exactly the same,you just tend to use smaller tweezers
I shall take that as a compliment in this case :wink:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got my basic camouflage on the Bf 109.

It's an unusual combination of RLM 77/82 over 76. The fin is essentially RLM 81 with some mottle of RLM 82 and an overspray of RLM 76. This unusual scheme is typical of the G-10s built at the Diana works at Tiznow,now in the Czech Republic. This was a sattelite of the Wiener Neustadt plant (WNF) and is about 100 miles away from its parent. I'm basing this one winged wonder on an aircraft of an unknown unit found at Kothen in April 1945 (with both wings attached). I'm hoping I've got enough little white numbers somewhere to do a 66 on each side of the fuselage :smiling3:

Doing these schemes freehand in 1/32 is a doddle but it's tricky in this small scale!

Whilst starting to fit all the "glass" to the big bomber I've built the Fw 190 which is now reslendent in grey primer. This will get a standard scheme as there are plenty of exotic options for the Me 262 when I finally open the box.

The Fw 190 was not well molded,even the clear parts were a bit of a mess. I had planned to have the canopy closed but I might do away with,or break,the hood.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just saw this,thanks for those piccies,very interesting.

Do you think that is an emblem on the cowling of the Fw 190? I might have a look for something similar.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quick up date.

The one winged Bf 109 is decalled and gloss coated. Weathering and a matt coat and it will be just about done.

The Fw 190 now has the underside and first camo colour painted.

The big He 177 bomber is primed and ready for painting. I'm very impressed by this kit,not a big Revell fan but hats off to this one.

The Me 262 is still in the box :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Looking great Steve,really looking forward to seeing the paint go on the 177 .I've seen some cool variations on the cammo on these which have you decided on?

K

Kressy13

Coming along well steve. Looking forward to seeing the 177 painted.

P

Polux

Looking very good so far, I will be waiting to see if you do a several weathering or similar....

Polux

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some progress.

The Fw 190 now has a camouflage coat,standard 74/75/76.

The bomber will have upper surfaces of RLM 76 with an RLM 75 mottle. This I am spraying first as the undersides will be "black". Black will cover anything.

So far it's had a coat of RLM 75 after which I have masked off the areas to be mottled with Blu-Tac. There are more spots than there are stars in the Milky Way so this took a while. Finally I have sprayed a coat of RLM 76. Once I've post shaded this I will remove the Blu-Tac,hopefully to reveal a nice mottle.

The Bf 109 has had a wash and a matt coat and will be finished soon. Once that's out of the way I will start the final model,a Me 262.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
One down,three and a dio to go!

The one winged Bf 109 G-10 is to all intents and purposes done. I'm not sure whether I will keep the "broken" antenna wire. I gave it two flat mainwheel tyres but chickened out of doing the fragile tail wheel.

The Fw 190 is awaiting decals,the He 177 has got a coat of "black" on.

The top is unmasked.

The and the Me 262 is about to come out of the box!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fw 190 nearing completion.

Completely spurious markings cobbled together from the kit and spares box.

I think I'll try and fit the canopy but "broken" if I can.

Steve

C

CDW

My phone was playing silly buggers yesterday and i couldn't see the images, back on the netbook now and "wow", some progress there Steve !!

I think the 109s' antenna wire would look quite authentic in a broken state myself.

The 177 looks marvelous, thats some patience and meticulous work with that camo pattern.

Splurious marking or not (i wouldn't know otherwise:smiling3:) that 190 looks very nicely done.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The blu tak trick must have, well err 'been a bit tiring' ? Great effect though.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slowly making progress as time allows!

I've constructed the Me 262 "Easy Assembly Authentic Kit" which whilst easy to assemble didn't actually fit very well. I used more filler,still drying,to fit the engines to the wings on this kit than the other three put together.

I've built a few Me 262s in various scales and the only one on which that engine to wing fit was any good was Trumpeter's big 1/32 kit. (I'm off the soap box now)

One of the horizontal stabilisers went awol. I work over a slate floor so no carpet monster! Maybe it was never in the box. I don't care anyway,I've hacked off the rudder and an aileron as well. I think I'm going to "collapse" the nosewheel tool. I've seen one or two Me 262s looking distinctly nose down in post war photos of these boneyards.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great progress Steve. The Heinkel's camouflage looks the part, excellent work indeed.