A-10 Thunderbolt II

T

The Mechanic

Hi All

It's me again.

Here's my A-10 that I brought for a couple of quid one day. It is built straight out of the box with the plan to use the decals. This went out of the window as I applied them as they were brittle and the carrier film was visable.

So a set of new decals from TwoBobs and one respray later, this is the result.

I enjoyed this A10 and as there is enough decals on the sheet for two models, I brought another one. But this time it's the Revell kit with the Eduards BigEd detailing set.

G

Gladiator111

Nice!

I like the weathering you have done and the oily arms on the ordnance fitter. Really nice finishing details. I have been scrolling through hundreds of internet images of the A-10 and have noticed a browning effect under the naceles. Not sure how or why this appears. Could be from the heat of the engines. Don't know. Any ideas?

I am also building an A-10 at the moment. It's the Italeri model version where I have found problems with the naceles, some parts are too small and the turbofan fins are too few.

One other thing that I have found wrong with the kit, is the presribed lead weight is not enough. You have to throw your 1950's kitchen fridge and an anvil into that nose to stop it sitting back. heh, I notice you have a peice of bluetack on the front wheel as well... ;)

Well if my A-10 is half as good as yours, I shall be a happy chap. Well done Mech!

T

The Mechanic

\ said:
One other thing that I have found wrong with the kit, is the presribed lead weight is not enough. You have to throw your 1950's kitchen fridge and an anvil into that nose to stop it sitting back. heh, I notice you have a peice of bluetack on the front wheel as well... ;)
I know what you mean. This kit said nothing about adding weight to the model, but I added some anyhow. I used some chopped up white metal ingots for casting and glued them behind the cockpit. But one decided to move before drying and settle just behind the rear undercarriage. Hence the Bluetack to stop it flipping when the table gets knocked.

Mick