A/b blockage...Ahhhh!!!

A

AJay

Hello chaps!

I've got a new airbrush and to begin with it sprayed beautifully.

However, it started blocking on a regular basis, normally while spraying a model! Just tonight I was making good progress and then it just stopped spraying paint. I took it apart to clean it and the end of the nozzle with the miniature rubber gasket (the piece I can undo using the special mini-spanner included with the a/b), is jam-packed.

The needle won't go back through because it's so blocked. I tried soaking it in a/b cleaner - at great peril to the rubber gasket - but still no joy............. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Please HELP!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I wouldn't worry to much about that little gasket at the nozzle, mine has been "disolved" years ago. And it works fine. Leave the nozzle in some cellulose thinners for a while, and see if it softens things up.

What type of paint is it?

Ian M

A

AJay

Ian, I'll give it a try again, thanks. I'm using Vallejo acrylics. I was hoping to complete the Horton this weekend but looks like it might take a little longer.....oh well......

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As you are using Vallejo, I assume that it is their AB cleaner as well. I find it pretty effective at least. Try leaving it over night. Also it might help if you warm it a little. (Only try that with the Vallejo cleaner. NOT a good idea to heat Cellulose thinner).

You could also try a sewing needle. Find one that is very fine as not to misshape the hole and VERY gently roll the nozzle on your finger with the tip of the needle as an axle. This has also worked for me to remove a particularly nasty plug!!

Ian M

A

AJay

I was up at 2 am still trying to clean the damn thing. Soaking didn't clear it, so I used the tip of a needle, and what did I find? The tip caught hold of a strand if cotton and pulled out a load of it! Must have somehow got in there from the cotton buds I use to clean the nozzle and paint cup. I haven't tried it yet but it should work now :smiling3:

Thanks for helping, Ian.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good 'find' Alex. I use Vallejo as well, and often find I need to thin them a lot more than I originally thought. I even find the need to thin Model Air paints ! Ocassionally I go back to enamels for certain colours - with no problems at all............

A

AJay

It's the same for me with Model Air, Colin. I tend to use a few drops of water and mix it in. I don't have a set formula though and maybe that's the problem. What ratio paint/water do you use?

A

andygh

A sharpened cocktail stick is the tool for this job, don't force it in to the nozzle just twirl it and keep it wet with whatever cleaner you're using (Vallejo cleaner really is the best for this kind of thing in my experience)

S

Stevekir

\ said:
A sharpened cocktail stick is the tool for this job, don't force it in to the nozzle just twirl it and keep it wet with whatever cleaner you're using (Vallejo cleaner really is the best for this kind of thing in my experience)
I also use Vallejo Model Air. When I started airbrushing in January I got lots of trouble, including blocking, and used a single strand of brass picture-hanging wire. It can go through the nozzle (mine is 0.4 mm) and brass is softer than steel. Oddly, I can now spray paint reliably. I don't really know what I did. Learned subconsciously suppose.

I dilute 15% to 20% with Vallejo Thinner. (15 parts to 85 parts paint, or 20 parts to 80 parts paint.)

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner last month (less expensive than I thought at £25 plus carriage). It certainly does a good job (although I still use the tiny bottle brush to clean the nozzle-to-trigger passage and one of those tiny dental brushes for the nozzle itself, but less fussily than before).