A Boiler House.....Minsk, November 1941

First Name
Michael
Superb!! You've got that first snowfall effect perfect, it really looks cold there.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Jeez Ron , its making me feel cold just looking at it, cant those two poor buggers get the boiler fired up and have a warm?!! Excellent stuff as usual matey, its really captured the atmosphere of a cold, miserable , desperate situation. The scratch built plumbing looks fantastic (in fact im thinking of having my central heating replaced next year , are you available?) A freezing five stars for you bud , cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Bobby, Chris, Michael and Tony for all your great comments......

Chris, it is corrugated cardboard. There is no foolproof way that I know of removing the paper layer to reveal the corrugations. Some times it just rips and I start again.....Anyone out there know of an easy method?

Tony, no I'm not...But I could bring you some cheap pipe to Cosford next year!

Right, since I built this model, it's been staring at me and saying..."Any chance of a sensible background?"

So here it is, I spent a couple of hours this morning making a corner factory wall to fix to the model. Not a great deal of detail, but enough for a backdrop and I think it finishes it off nicely.....Made from guess what?! Then painted with children's water colours.

What say you men?

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 49311

View attachment 49312

View attachment 49313

View attachment 49314

The Boiler house 012.jpg

The Boiler house 008.jpg

The Boiler house 009.jpg

The Boiler house 011.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Finishes it off perfectly Ron , cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ah tell thee what Tony, me owd mucker, ast thee nowt better to do than sit in front of yon 'puter!

Glad you like the background mate.......You don't want the pipe then?

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its my tuesday- saturday week matey , ive just been to feed the ducks in the park and now i think its time i got in the shed !! p.s. if you do my heating i dont want it making out of polystyrene and cardboard!!!LOL cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I might have you know the boiler and hot water tank in this dio. were made from some top quality plastic pipe off-cuts, so there!!!

Cheers,

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Absolutely brilliant Ron it looks so realistic nice use of corrugated paper :smiling3:

First Name
Gregg
What amazes me about people like yourself, apart from the finished items of course.

Is the imagination behind all these dio's. I only just manage to build the kits themselves.

Gregg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Brilliant.work Ron,lov it and the use off around home stuff,see never put any think in the bin always a use for it,:rolleyes:

it was great before the back drop ,but that just seals it,top notch build, ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

Just as I've come to expect from you, a superb job well deserved great build, it's all in the details and you always add just the right amount, never over or under done. OUTSTANDING.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Fantastic build Ron. The use of everyday materials is brilliant

Lee :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to see this pop up after nearly 2 1/2 yrs. in the S.M vaults.....I had a brief exchange of p.m.'s with Alan45 about frost, early snow and the use of polyfilla. I mentioned this build as an example of it's use, but never expected the thread to be resurrected....so blame Alan!

I hope it might also be of some help to any of you good people who are contemplating a light snow scene. If it does, then that's a nice bonus for me......

Aaron, you are correct, the figures are part of the Tamiya 1/35 Machine Gunners set. Not bad figures, but improved with a smattering of snow on them!!!

Thanks for the excellent posts fellas. I appreciate them all.

Cheers all,

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ron I had to share it as it's brilliant and as you can see there are a lot of people who missed it first time around :D

0ne48thtel

You smashed this one out of the park and beyond mate. It's a top draw build using materials that most of us wouldn't think of using.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Absolutely first Class Job Ron ......... That is so good. 5 Great Big Stars from me matey.

Peter