A first go

B

Brickie

Following my post about Polish Fighters, I think I'm going to pop down my local model shop at lunchtime and pick up a cheap 1/72 kit to have a practise on. I'll post my progress on here and you can all tell me what I'm doing wrong.

In terms of kit, I reckon I'm going to need:

- a pair of angled tweezers.

- a pair of straight tweezers.

- a craft knife

- some liquid poly

- a tube of squeezy poly cement

I'm also going to pop up to Morrisons and see if they've got any of that Johnson's Klear stuff. Or whatever it's currently being marketed as. Acrylic-based floor wax, right?

Finally, since I've grown up doing rather more Games Workshop than Airfix, I'm much more comfortable with acrylic paints (and indeed still have a lot of Citadel Colours knocking around), so propose to use these to paint the thing, as well as using their "Green Stuff" modelling clay for filling.

L

Lancasterb1

Brickie, good to see you on the forum! As far as your shopping list goes, perhaps you might wish to add a roll of Tamiya/Tristar low tack masking tape, pop along to boots and buy yourself some emery boards for filing, or purchase a set of files from the model shop. You will need some form of varnish, perhaps a tin of vallejo spray matt, depending on what you are going to build.

The list of things can grow endless and costly so what you feel comfortable with to get your first build underway. The Klear(for wnat of a better word) is to protect the paint work once completed before weathering and is a cheaper alternative to spray varnish, best of look with your shopping outting, lookforward to seeing what you are going to build and hope that you do not dent your wallet too much :damnit:

B

Brickie

I'm thinking about Airfix's bog-standard Hurricane Mk1, which comes with an interesting Irish Air Corps decal set (I'm always a sucker for the odd stuff). We've got some Citadel ultra super-duper high gloss varnish at home, a legacy of my wife's PVC and Suspenders-clad Dark Elf Blood Bowl team (!) but I don't think there's any matt. Will check out the Vallejo

I've got some pretty fine sandpaper at home from a DIY project, but a couple of emery boards shouldn't break the bank.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I've got some pretty fine sandpaper at home from a DIY project, but a couple of emery boards shouldn't break the bank.
Try the cosmetics counter in your local pound shop. If you're too embarrassed - get the missus to go for you! :lol

Gern

PS Welcome aboard.

B

Brickie

Nope, I have some matchbook style emery boards and a pair of eyebrow tweezers from Boots. The hardware store up the road had Klear, I've got some liquid poly, an x-acto knife, some Humbrol matt varnish spray and - most importantly - a kit to build.

I'll make a start tonight and upload some photos for you to kibitz...

B

Brickie

Hmm. Camera failed.

Anyway, inside of cockpit painted in a mid-green with a brown seat which will get a dark ink-wash once it's fully dried and the fuselage halves glued together.

First schoolboy error - I should have taped the tailfin together, it's sprung apart by a mm or so. I'll see if I can simply drop some glue in and squeeze it together. Now all I need to do is find where I put the Green Stuff in the house move.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Brickie.

You might of noticed that your thread has moved.

That would be me, as I thought it less prone to getting lost if we had it in the "under construction" section.

Ian M

B

Brickie

Fairy snuff. Wondered whether to put it in here to start with, but figured it would count as a Tutorial!

1275GT

Hi, for my two-pennith worth, it's probably a bit late to do much about it - I'd slap some interior green ( if thats the correct colour for the gear bays?) in there, move on and concentrate on the bits that get seen most!

I don't pick up and look underneath my models much and the big "DO NOT TOUCH" sign stops anyone else................... ;)

Cheers, Neil

B

Brickie

I should point out, the wings and the fuselage are not glued to each other at this point, so I can inlay something. I had wondered about just a piece of black card to blank out the hole, but is there something more interesting to do?

I'm not overly fussed about having a detailed interior to the wheel bay, like yourself, but the point of the exercise is to learn techniques and tricks.

1275GT

Ah, ok, in which case I'd be tempted to find a couple of good reference pics, grab a bit of plastic sheet and streched sprue and have a go at boxing in the wheel wells and adding a bit of detail. Should be a useful exercise, and the results won't be too obvious if you don't want them to be seen!!

As I'm finding out, it's really just down to practice.

Cheers, Neil

B

Brickie

I've actually gone with the card option for the moment - had some mounting card so I've cut a small square, popped it in place and assembled.

I'm just about ready to paint now - the kit is together except for the wheels and the canopy, gaps and cracks filled with Green Stuff (goodness me but that's fiddly work at 1/72 scale - how do you do it and keep it smooth?) and edges sanded down.

A minor crisis when gluing the microscopic undercarriage strut into place, the glue started running down the wing and, in a panic, I grabbed some kitchen roll and tried to dab it off, resulting in a bit of a ragged bit under the starboard wing. I've sanded it down and it doesn't look too bad, hopefully.

I'll pop some pictures up tonight, then start with the painting. Any tips for brush-painting with acrylics that will give me a good even coat? And is there any advantage to starting underneath, or on top?

B

Brickie

OK, slightly delayed pictures:

Firstly the card filler for the wheel well. The big gap at the left has since been filled with Green Stuff, but I'm still not entirely convinced. We'll see what it looks like painted. However, I'm planning to attach the model to a base anyway, if I don't just end up binning it.

View attachment 32541

Secondly, before and after shots of the main camo scheme going on.

View attachment 32540View attachment 32542

I think I need more practice working with filler though. That's a particularly ugly seam on that wing - it looked OK unpainted.

View attachment 32543

Now, question time. this recess on the wing has a clear part to go in it and I believe they're lights for night-time landings. I assume the trick is to paint the inside of the recess in an appropriate colour, then simply stick in the clear part?

View attachment 32539

View attachment 37388

View attachment 37389

View attachment 37390

View attachment 37391

View attachment 37392

Wing light.JPG

Assembled Kit.JPG

blanking card.JPG

Camo scheme.JPG

Ugly filler.JPG

B

Brickie

Also, the macro setting makes the brushwork look ten times worse than it does with the naked eye. It actually looks OK with the Mk1 Eyeball, but I'm sure an airbrush would do a better job...

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Matt just a quick tip with filling joints which i was told about on this forum when filling put some masking tape on each side of the join then put the filler in and before it drys take the tape away less to sand down and a lot neater looking hope this helps

B

Brickie

OK, I think this kit is as done as it's getting - it's just waiting for some less soggy weather so I can take it out in the garden and spray varnish it. I'll upload some final photos once that's done.

In other news, while looking through the debris of our house-move I found a couple of untouched kits and a half-built one, bought in a fit of enthusiasm at an airshow a number of years ago. There's a Hasegawa 1/72 Me262, the Postwar Czech version, an Airfix (?) Mistel in 1/72 and a half-built Heinkel 70 which I think is a Revell kit. Instructions and decals are long gone and there's poly cement thumbprints all over it, so I may just use it to practise filling and sanding and that kind of thing.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Matt, I've been looking at the pictures of your model and the posts and I see you have brush painted it.

I only brush paint my models and the following might be of help:-

Firstly, everyone please understand I am not being critical just trying to help. I noticed a few brush marks on the wings, this is due to applying the acrylic too thickly. Now you have practice pieces, thin the paint down using water (try 50/50 as a start and alter as you see fit) some folks use distilled but I find it makes no difference.

Then apply successive coats, as you know the paint dries quickly so you don't have to wait long between coats. Continue coating until you are happy with the results....

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brickie

Thanks, I'll try that next time. This is the whole point of the thread, for people to tell me what I could be doing better.

It looks like the postwar Czech Me262 is going to be all-over natural metal finish, so I may splash out on a rattle can of the appropriate colour for that one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad my little input will be of some use.....Also, I have tried all acrylics with my brush painting. The only ones that give me the results I want are Vallejo Model Colour. For detail work I use Humbrol enamels

Have a look at the Scale Models shop.

Cheers,

Ron