A first go

B

Brickie

View attachment 32781View attachment 32782View attachment 32783

Here as promised some photos of the finished item. It's not the best model on the forum, but it's pretty if you don't look too closely, and the Irish markings are both colourful and unusual. It's by some distance the best job I've made of a kit, as well.

I think the grey of the camouflage is a bit dark, so if I do the RAF grey/green scheme again I'll lighten it a bit. I also used a bit of artistic licence on the prop spinner. The box said duck-egg green, another source I've seen suggested an orange band at the base, so I made it a tricolour. I found out in the process that painting straight lines on a prop spinner is hard.

Things to remember for next time:

- Miniscule amounts of filler go a long way. Mask either side of the join so you don't get big blobs.

- When painting with acrylics and brushes, thin them and build up several coats to avoid visible brushmarks.

- Doesn't matter how steady your hand is, you can't paint straight lines freehand. Mask it.

- Plan ahead rather than stumbling over problems.

I got the Hasegawa Me262 out and had a look at it, but it looks like such a nice detailed kit I don't want to waste it on practice, so I'll be heading back out to the shops again to pick up something else cheapish.

Next time out, as well as improving on technique, I want to have a go at doing more cockpit-wise (instead of the standard issue seat-stuck-to-a-plank); try out a radio antenna wire and do some weathering. Will also give the Vallejo paint range a crack.

View attachment 37593

View attachment 37594

View attachment 37595

Finished 3.jpg

Finished 1.jpg

Finished 2.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi matt , nice hurricane, great to see some different markings too. If youre wanting a cheaper kit to have a bit of practice but still be a nice build,how about some of the academy 1/72 stuff. You can get them for around £6 and they build up lovely, in fact i think john has just got some in at the scale models online shop. On the subject of brush painting with acrylics rons your man , and something else to consider is the games workshop paints - they brush great ,the only slight snag is that they arent standard colours so you have to either mix to match or go for the nearest colour, but i can vouch for the quality and ease of brushing, ive used them quite a bit. heres to the next one, cheers tony

B

Brickie

It's more the fact it's what I've got in, but they are nice to work with. I know what you mean about the colouring - but that said, I thought the Catachan Green and Codex Grey (underside) looked about right colourwise, it was just the Adeptus Battlegrey foundation that was a bit on the dark side for the grey camo. And actually, that seems to have lightened a bit under the influence of two coats of Klear and a spray of matt varnish...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yeah , i love the names!! But i always say if it looks about right then whos to say its not? I mixed up a green which i reckon is a great match for russian AMT7 but i couldnt tell you which colours i used!!!LOL cheers tony

B

Brickie

There are some cracking names. Tentacle Pink is one of my favourites. And Tin Bitz, which is a sort of "Rusty metal" paint that's ace for doing those not-very-well-cared-for metal parts.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I always use mithril silver ,chain mail and boltgun metal for small areas of silver and the skull white and chaos black are always useful. Loads of these paints were given to me by my son and i liked them so much for brushing small areas , i keep using them. My own fave names are snot green ,rotting flesh and vomit brown!!!!! tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Are you two speaking in code or something..............snot green, rotting flesh...................good lord !

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I missed this until I saw your Heinkel thread. I think you've done a fine job on that,infact better than that for a 'first go'. Unusual markings too. If they didn't have a tricolour spinner they should have!

Cheers

Steve

B

Brickie

\ said:
Are you two speaking in code or something..............snot green, rotting flesh...................good lord !
They're a lot easier to remember than RLM [number] or something boringly literal like "Olive Drab" though, aren't they :smiling3:

T

Tigerdh82

Hi Brikie

You could do worse than an Airfix Gnat that has just come out again it's still old but there are no moving parts.

However there will be lots of sanding and filler and small parts to get used to.

Ideal for practising your skills.

It's a nice kit too and cheap.

Hope you enjoy messing around with whatever you go for in the end

Jon