A Live Steam Ruby Conversion

R

rkapuaala

This started its life as a regular Ruby Kit. I assembled the kit first to make sure it ran ok,,, and it did.

I began the conversion to an OR&L engine by first lowering the boiler to about 1/32 of inch away from the reversing valve. Next, I fabricated the tank. The one pictured is the last of 3 I built. The others were rejected for various reasons, some of which were workmenship.

Next, I replaced the existing deck with a deck that accommodate my new cab.

I cut the smoke box off the boiler and fabricated a new smoke box from some 1 1/4" copper pipe. I also fabricated the smokebox door and hinges.

The smoke box pedestal is built up from 7 pieces of brass soldered together. Its a held in place by 0-90 screws that screw into brackets that are attached to the cylinders.

I got a supplier of really great truer to scale valves and fittings, and I am currently working on a detailed back head, redesigning the oiler and custom made goodall valve for adding water.

Here is the picture of what I'm using for the steam line. Its really modeled after the injectors on the engine, but since the model doesn't require injectors I decide to disguise the oiler and steam lines using this method.

View attachment 18368

oil-meter-fitting.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

What a lovely little job. Is it going to be RC controlled when it's finished? It will certainly look the part on a track with a few trucks behind it.

R

rkapuaala

Bunkerbarge,

I haven't ruled rc out completely, but my main goal is to keep build it to look as much like the prototype without affecting the performance of the engine.

In fact the lubricator I'm designing will be hidden and if I'm correct, it will resolve some of the issues of too much oil which occurs with the original lubricator.

I'm adding a real steam functional steam dome in anticipation of adding a little more water and getting a little bit longer run.

The fuel tank will be located in a make shift tender, which the prototype used to pull.

See the image below.