A new little friend.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Printing small parts on the large Anet A6 is a pain, it being overkill printing something like a part that is only a couple of mm wide on a machine that can print a bowling ball! I'd been looking on Ebay, looking for small footprint printers. Not surprisingly the prices are prety high for a convenient sized printer - there are very basic machines, like the Easythreed Nano, aimed more at the children's market, but even they go for £70-80. I came across a listing for a machine, 'not working, parts or repair' no-one else seemed to be interested, o I put in a cheeky offer - offer accepted! This is what I bought
mono mini.jpg

Monoprice Select Mini V2 The base is about A4, but various bits overhang. 120mm x120mm x 120mm build size, with a heated bed.
I wondered if I'd bought a train wreck - but, when it arrived, it looked like the picture above, except someone had added a glass build plate. HOWEVER, the first problem was the Z-axis was jammed at the bottom of it's travel. I had to puzzle out to remove the cover plates ( only by YouTube videos did I find which screws to remove & which to leave alone ). I found that the coupling on the Z-axis lead screw had come adrift - I fixed that & all axis now moved. Next, there was no filament being extruded from the nozzle - I supposed it to be a blocked nozzle - it took quite a while to dig out the fossilised filament. Did it work? Nope - the extruder motor was turning, but no filament was reaching the nozzle. I found the tension arm on the extruder was cracked & wouldn't transport filament to the nozzle. I replaced the tension arm - then success filament extruded! Next, I wanted to replace the glass bed, with a magnetic build plate like my Anet. Someone had attached the glass bed with some tenacious glue, that took me ages to remove. I had to cut down a larger magnetic plate, as I couldn't find one small enough
DSCF4254.JPGAt last I was able to get it to print ( although I found out that the machine wouldn't recognize micro SD cards above 4Gb! )
Satisfied - all I need to do is refit all the panels & a few add-on parts!, then re-level the bed & its good to go.
Best part of all this, is the printer cost me less than £50 delivered, It has taken a lot of my time, trying to figure out what was wrong & fixing it. I had to get another extruder tension arm & a magnetic build plate, about another £12...................... This can be used with a minimum of hassle, to print small parts - like the loads of bits for the USS St Louis. When it's set up it's literally put the card in & push the start buttons & it's quiet!
Dave

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well saved Dave!

Out of interest do you get any noticeable fumes or smells when printing?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well saved Dave!

Out of interest do you get any noticeable fumes or smells when printing?
Using PLA there is no smell - if you print with some other filaments, like ABS, they do give off fumes. I'm going to stick with PLA - and that's what all the children's 3D printers use - you cold burn your finger if you really tried, but you won't be poisoned!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Good find Dave. So now can you run the two printers at the same time?
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Good find Dave. So now can you run the two printers at the same time?
Pete
It's more like using the appropriate size for the particular job, but essentially yes - the Anet printer is rather noisy,and when it runs for long periods can be a bit annoying - more modern machines have silent stepper motors, the Monoprice has all the motors enclosed & is all metal, and doesn't rattle & vibrate like the Anet., although only having half the build plate capacity limits it to smaller parts.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Congrats on the upgrade.
I think you will see a world of difference, but from what I have read you need to run it a lot slower than other models.
Gary,
yes, my first print was at 60mm/second & I think that dialing that back to 40mm/s will be the first thing to try - probably the cantilever X-axis doesn't help! - like the Anet, it's going to be a period of tweaking & trying, but as I'm using it for small prints, it will be quicker to see the results ( and this time I do have some idea of what I'm doing!! ).
Dave

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
As far as i can tell, and its only thru research, as I still haven't bought mine due to some large vet bills, for once the more expensive a printer is ( within reason ) the better it prints.
I am looking at Elegoo , and by not buying yet , may actually be better off as they have a new resin dlp machine they just released, which in theory is a better technology, but only for smaller print areas.
Even more interesting, assuming not an april fools joke, is they are making a laser cutter for home use.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
s they are making a laser cutter for home use
Not only a laser, but a CNC as well as 3D printing
These are definitely things for the serious hobbyist, or small jobbing shop. I keep an eye on these new machines - what is available in China now, will be showing up here in a few months!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All the panels replaced & now it's working!
DSCF4261.JPG
Quite a relief to finally get it all together...............
Always a gamble, buying 'not working' from Ebay - if it had been something electronic, I would been in real trouble - the mainboard alone costs around £70 to replace. Mechanical stuff, I've got a chance, and I was lucky! I think it will be a long while before I take another risk like that, though!
Dave

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
View attachment 478600
Always a gamble, buying 'not working' from Ebay - if it had been something electronic, I would been in real trouble - the mainboard alone costs around £70 to replace. Mechanical stuff, I've got a chance, and I was lucky! I think it will be a long while before I take another risk like that, though!
Dave
Dave
Result!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is what I'm hoping this printer will do
This is a 'print in place' model, It's just one print................
DSCF4262.JPG
It's a filament guide for the printer...............
When you remove it from the plate - a screwdriver inserted into the 3mm hole & twist.............
DSCF4263.JPG
The tolerances & shape mean that the central portion is free to rotate in all direction , but trapped in the main part - it's so the filament can be guided smoothly into the extruder from the spool. There are a few of this type of 'print in place' models, but most are just to show good the models/printers are, but I prefer to print a part that actually has a function!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Monoprice is exceeding my expectations - it's not a speed machine & the heated bed takes a long time to warm up, but...............
DSCF4264.JPG
DSCF4265.JPG
These are the superstructure bits for the 1/350 French armoured cruiser 'Gueydon'- the above bit is 60mm long. I just need to tweak the support settings a bit to make them easier to remove. I've still not tried the finest setting yet, I'm still looking for a suitable subject. Meanwhile the Anet is grumbling way, printing the hull of the cruiser - 6 hours per half...............
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
View attachment 478600
Dave
Nicely done!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The Monoprice is exceeding my expectations - it's not a speed machine & the heated bed takes a long time to warm up, but...............
View attachment 478709
View attachment 478710
These are the superstructure bits for the 1/350 French armoured cruiser 'Gueydon'- the above bit is 60mm long. I just need to tweak the support settings a bit to make them easier to remove. I've still not tried the finest setting yet, I'm still looking for a suitable subject. Meanwhile the Anet is grumbling way, printing the hull of the cruiser - 6 hours per half...............
Dave
That's turned out really well Dave!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is the 60 gun frigate Dryade ( 1828 ) in 1/700 - not quite there - the supports were a bit tricky, & the rudder came off with them
DSCF4267.JPG
The model is from Thingiverse by user 'PC_Model_Yard', and is intended for SLA resin printing, but I reckoned that the Monoprice could handle it. The supports are the real killers, I printed out the USS Cairo - an ACW gunboat, but the supports were such that I couldn't get them off without causing severe damage!
Dave