A pair of shelf Queens - 1/700 Yamato & Hyuga

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm awaiting the delivery of some CA Accelerator for my Eton Glider, so I decided to look at a couple of the many shelf queens...................
This one I started, and for some reason stopped ( absolutely no idea why )
hasegawa Hyuga.jpg
and this was bought as a part built ( maybe incomplete ) box from Ebay, along with an Eduard PE set. There were some damaged parts, but I could easily repair/replace them. I added a wood veneer deck to the box & that's as far as it went
tamiya yamato.jpg
One problem with these models is that they are part painted - and I have no idea what colour has been used. I'll have to check, but I think both are done with acrylic paints, so I can either overspray them with new paint, or strip them back & start afresh. Taking the paint off doesn't appeal, so unless the existing paint job is really bad, then overspray is the preferred route. It could be on close inspection, that something is not recoverable, in which case landfill will be the final destination!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm grabbing the first chair for these, is there any chance we can flip the heating on though ?, Matron keeps trying to get me to run around the grounds to warm up, but I figured I'd be able to hide in here for a while and enjoy the moggling.
Heating? You'll be wanting cushions for those chairs next!
Dave
edit - I think the Hyuga is going to be first on the slab workbench.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Dave if your giving out cushions I'm in. The Hyuga looks a strange shop.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very interesting looking ship there dave ( the Hyuga) . I presume that the floatplanes landed on the water and were lifted back onto( into?) the ship with the crane , and launched via catapult ?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Joining the party.... Had not heard of the Hyuga....or if I had I have long forgotten about it.

ATB.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
oooooo cushions ... go on then, I'll have one to keep my posterior nice and warm... any blankets going spare ? ...(I can hide under it when Matron comes peeping through the windows)
DITTO on that Chris im in as well an lookin out for matron so hope Dave can save this ship as this is something ive never heard of an gettin cushions wonder wheather Dave can afford the exsesive exspence lol ps Dave can you please show a side veiw of the huga in the instructions ? as im very intrested in this ship as its something simalar to my tiger guns on the front an flighty things on the back hmmmmmm very instresting
chrisb

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Hyuga & her sistership Ise were built during WWI, they were modernised in the early 30's, when their pagoda masts were added. By the beginning of WWI they were regarded as obsolete, and not much utilised on operations. After Midway, with the loss of four fleet carriers, it was decided to convert them to 'hybrid' aircraft carriers. The two aft 14" turrets were removed & a flightdeck added, with a hangar beneath. They were designed to carry 22 planes - launched by two catapults. They could carry floatplanes and dive bombers, although the dive bombers couldn't land onboard! The floatplanes were for reconnaissance & could be lifted back on board
By the time the conversions were complete, there were no pilots, aircraft, or fuel - so they never carried aircraft operationally. Eventually both were used as floating AA batteries in port & both were sunk by USN carrier air strikes - raised & scrapped post war.
DSCF3712.JPG
A lot of effort for no return...................
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The Hyuga & her sistership Ise were built during WWI, they were modernised in the early 30's, when their pagoda masts were added. By the beginning of WWI they were regarded as obsolete, and not much utilised on operations. After Midway, with the loss of four fleet carriers, it was decided to convert them to 'hybrid' aircraft carriers. The two aft 14" turrets were removed & a flightdeck added, with a hangar beneath. They were designed to carry 22 planes - launched by two catapults. They could carry floatplanes and dive bombers, although the dive bombers couldn't land onboard! The floatplanes were for reconnaissance & could be lifted back on board
By the time the conversions were complete, there were no pilots, aircraft, or fuel - so they never carried aircraft operationally. Eventually both were used as floating AA batteries in port & both were sunk by USN carrier air strikes - raised & scrapped post war.
View attachment 467590
A lot of effort for no return...................
Dave
THANKS Dave for postin these pics now i can see what she was like an you say an you say lot of effort for no return do you mean building the model or the real ship as yes it was as which was a pity as i like the design of the ship very much like my tiger an very unusual an different an just think what a model of this woughd be like in 1/96 scale what a whopper it would be an could you please give her tonnage an lenght an beam please ?
chrisb ps an whats a pergda mast then ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
THANKS Dave for postin these pics now i can see what she was like an you say an you say lot of effort for no return do you mean building the model or the real ship as yes it was as which was a pity as i like the design of the ship very much like my tiger an very unusual an different an just think what a model of this woughd be like in 1/96 scale what a whopper it would be an could you please give her tonnage an lenght an beam please ?
chrisb ps an whats a pergda mast then ?
I'll be building the model - my comment was about the waste of effort at that time, when Japan was running low on all resources.
The pagoda mast was a peculiar feature of Japanese heavy ships - due to a resemblence to Japanese temples.
This is the Hyuga in the late 30's
hyuga.jpg
And possibly the most extreme, the Fuso..............
fuso.jpg
All these were added, during modernisation in the 30's. It seems that the Japanese couldn't design a platform deck with multiple uses - each function had to have it's own deck - it must have affected their stability & access must have been very congested. All these decks were built around the existing tripod masts. No other navy did this to the same extent.
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WOW TALK about top heavy looks like one big wave an she would turn turrtle an thanks now i know what a pergoda is an is that that bridge on huyga right at the top ? an dimentions DAVE PLEASE AN TONAGE ? PS an i wonder what the draught was on these ship ?
CHRISB

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Thanks for the background info. Very interesting.

ATB

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is the state of play at the moment.............
DSCF3713.JPG
Deck looks a little too yellow & the hull & superstructure are only part painted
DSCF3714.JPG A few assemblies loose in the box
DSCF3715.JPG
The aircraft ( 2 sprues of these ) that were never carried!
DSCF3716.JPG
Instructions - very busy! they need a lot of study, and are too small.
I'm going to have to brush paint this, I have a reference to paints & apparently the Hyuga was painted Kure Naval Arsenal Grey. which according to my Navy references is either Vallejo 900 French Mirage Blue , or 991 Dark Sea Grey - I'm pretty sure I don't have the first, but I'm certain I have the DSG, so that will be chosen!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Dave it looks fine to me as it will weather down with a bit of dust on it an i like the shape of the hull to me it looks looks a fine shipe even if it is a bit top heavy an been havin a read up on that link you sent an she is smaller than i thought she would be even after to improvements in 44 pity she was sunk though cheers for all the info
chrisb

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
No need for cushions Dave. I've brought my own bean bag. Hope you get these beautieeees over the finishing line. Good luck

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Must admit, I like her better with the six turrets :thumb2: Should be an interesting build though. I think you’ve picked the right colour in 991 DSG Dave. VJ 900 is the French WW1 uniform Horizonbleu Colour, and is actually quite “blue” in tone when compared.