Cheers, Steven

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Hi Chris,
Freehand spraying is tricky indeed, looks like you fixed it very well :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven
It is easier on larger scales, and there are a number of things that need to coalesce to make it successful, such as sleep, moderate caffeine, patience and accuracy.
Unfortunately caffeine is the only thing I had too much of.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see your son modelling Chris, something for you both the remember and enjoy. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Absolutely! He is a huge lego fan and this seems like a logical ‘next step’.
He does seem to be leaning toward tanks though...

• Love
Reactions: JR

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Turned out nice.

IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG

Except for that.....:tired::tired::tired::tired:

This is the third model in a row this has happened on.

I clean the surface with meths, then apply stynylrez neat and paint over the top. I'm using Tamiya tape.

What am I doing wrong! It's clearly a surface bonding issue with the primer. Would a lacquer based primer solve this?

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looks good, pity of that spot :thinking: ...
Can't help you with why this happend, I always use Vallejo primer without any problem, but many people here seem to really dislike them, throwing them out of their window etc...

Hope you can find a solution :thumb2:
Steven

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
....and repaired.
I needed to feather the edges of the damaged area without causing further damage by being over-zealous, so got a little slip of 1000 grit and used a lot of water to gently prep the edge.
Masked off the damaged area and primed, then repainted carefully with only the leading edge and undercarriage masked to make sure the area blended.

22C40A06-8553-48C9-BCAD-5A0AC899D932.jpeg

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Panel line wash finished.

Before:
IMG_2465.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG

This is simply sepia watercolour thinned with water and then brushed on and left to dry thoroughly.

After:
IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG

Using moist kitchen roll and cotton buds I gently rub the wash off. It's subtle and over the satin varnish gives a 'dirty' effect I like.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Love that. I did this kit as my first real kit in January. I didn't do the weathering as I'm not overly keen but the Tamiya kit was a real joy
It really is a wonderful kit isn't it. I haven't done any other spitfires, but I'd certainly recommend this to anyone considering it.

First Name
Gary
And you add as much paint detail to the cockpit as you want even though it won't be seen. You know its there. Got a Tamiya FW190 with not too many parts whic surprised me at frist but now I'm looking forward to it

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Glad you got there in the end Chris. It looks great. Regarding your earlier primer issue. I have been using Humbrol No1 Enamel Primer since I stated and again have had no peeling paint issues. I dont use Acrylic paints but it will be good for both types of paint if you allow it to dry properly.

Attachments

• humbrol.jpg
    humbrol.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
So with the completion of the Tamiya and in an effort to clear my back log of 'in progress' projects, I have picked up the Guillows again.

The next stage was to dope the frame which I completed in three coats. This is done to seal the balsa in preparation for application of the tissue 'skin'.

The skin is applied in panels in a progressive sequence. the fuselage starts from the top of the nose working back and the wings from outside in. the tissue is finely grained which needs close attention so you span it correctly.

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG