A question about acrylic retarder

T

TonyBv9

Hello gents,

I want to try using retarder, to improve my brush painting results. The paint seems to cure almost as it's applied. I've ordered some Vallejo retarder, and my plan is to mix it with water in an eye dropper, so I can both thin and "retard" the paint at the same time. Does that sound reasonable, and what kind of proportions would you suggest?

I'm using Revell aqua color, as that's what has been available.

Thanks,

Tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That sounds reasonable though I can't suggest proportions as I don't use that paint.

I add a retarder to Xtracrylix for spraying simply by adding a drop of retarder to the paint in the paint cup. Not very scientific but it seems to work.

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Vallejo's own thinner includes a retarder and it has the advantage of not having any impact on the adhesion qualities of the paint.

T

TonyBv9

\ said:
Vallejo's own thinner includes a retarder and it has the advantage of not having any impact on the adhesion qualities of the paint.
Thanks, I knew that already, but the cheapskate in me makes me want to use water.

T

tecdes

To add to what Barry said I tested the Vallejo thinners last week & it gives a much smoother paint finish than water.

Have not used the Vallejo retarder seriously I suppose as I have not needed to. But when I did it it not make much difference if any. Not had any problem with Vallejo Model Air in general needing a retarder. I would have thought the retarder would be for use when the temperature is a bit high in the summer.

I did find thinning makes a lot of difference. Vallejo Model Air I thin 35 to 50 %. I do find some colours need thinning more than othere. Aluminuim & silver are the pitts. Thinks, where does that expression come from. Just wonder if you are airbrushing to far away from the subject.

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I too brush paint, but I only use Vallejo Model Colour Acrylics, so I can't comment on Revell stuff.

I don't use retarder, and have no problem with the paint drying too quickly. Admittedly, one has to work fairly quickly!

Can I respectfully suggest you might be applying the paint a bit too thick? I normally need 2/3 coats to get the required result. Please don't ask what ratio I use as I haven't a clue, I just mix the stuff until it goes on o.k.!

Ron

Forgot to mention, I only use tap water for thinning and am happy with the results, so best experiment a bit eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TonyBv9

\ said:
Can I respectfully suggest you might be applying the paint a bit too thick? I normally need 2/3 coats to get the required result. Please don't ask what ratio I use as I haven't a clue, I just mix the stuff until it goes on o.k.!

Ron
Thanks Ron - and everyone else. I am still experimenting - I've only done three models so far. I have brushed it on too thickly, and also over-thinned it too. I've found the Revell paints to be inconsistent in their thickness/viscosity, so I'm trying to find the ideal. I suppose it will come with experience. Many people say that Vallejo Model Colour are superior, so I will probably only buy my new paints from their range. Trouble is, they are mail-order only, so I always end up buying a kit as well to make the postage worthwhile. I wish there was a delivery option you could tick that says: "Delivery only when my wife is out."

A

andygh

\ said:
I wish there was a delivery option you could tick that says: "Delivery only when my wife is out."
You're not the only one :spanka: