A question from a newby to acrylic paints

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've just started using acrylic paint for my WW2 fighter/fighterbombers, due to the smell I got from using enamals. (I do my modelling in a small corner of my living room, and girlfriend complained-sort of)

I brush paint and am not very happy with my first attempt, so my question is how do I remove the paint I've put on, or do I paint over what i've already done.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not all acrylics are the same but most will be removeable with a DILUTE solution of ammonia. You can still get a solution which you can dilute yourself from traditional hardware shops.

I've also had success removing acrylics with alcohol,no need to splash out on IPA,good old Meths will do the trick.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Tony, I only brush paint too, using acrylics and enamels.....If you could post what did happen to the finish on your model, me and fellow members of the 'Collective' might be able to offer advise to prevent a re-occurance.

Cheers,

Ron

T

tecdes

Tony you could try wet & drying on the paintwork provided it is cured.

Start with say a 1000 then progress to a 1500 gauge wet & dry paper (using water very confusing the expression wet & dry).

If it has filled in the panel lines then it would be better to remove the paint if possible.

Also get some one to give advice on brush painting Acrylics. I airbrush so cannot advise. What acrylic paint are you using as an article recently pointed out problems with brush painting Tamiya.

Laurie

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi, and thanks for all the advice.

I'm building a 1:72 Academy Typhoon

I'm quite chuffed with the paint job on the underside of the kit but made the daft mistake of putting the darker gray coat on first. because I am experimenting with how thin the paint should be the green was see thru. So after a couple of coats of green I ended up with a too dark green and odd looking edges.

The paint had cured for more than 24 hours but parts of it, the gray coat came off when I rubbed at it with a wood stirrer. I get them from the local coffee shop. But the second coat seems to be made of tougher stuff.

I'll get some meths on my next day off, Thurs or Fri, and get the paint off or use use wet'n'dry if that don't work.

I'm using both Tamiya and Humbrol paints as they are what is available at my local artshop. No model shop in Darlo and no car to travel to one.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Tony.

P

phalinmegob

brake fluid works well for removing acrylics but be very carefull as its nasty stuff to be playing with

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tony, you say you are using Tamiya acrilics for brush painting....Don't!lol

The only paint I have had success with brush painting is Vallejo Model Colour, superb paints...

Bit of a tip, particularily brush work....always paint the light colour first 'cos it's easy to over paint with the dark colour...try the other way round!!

ron

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Ron.

Dam silly mistake.

Tony

B

Bill's Bunker

\ said:
Not all acrylics are the same but most will be removeable with a DILUTE solution of ammonia. You can still get a solution which you can dilute yourself from traditional hardware shops.I've also had success removing acrylics with alcohol,no need to splash out on IPA,good old Meths will do the trick.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Stona,

Ref IPA I can and do buy a Litre of IPA on ebay for £5.40 inc P&P, while if I go to the local Wilkos Meths cost me almost £3.00 for 250ML. So at a 1/4 of the price IPA is quite cheap, even worse is Tamiya thinner at £5.60 for 250ML.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Mel.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just a quickie.

Whats IPA ?

Sorry if it seems a dumb question.

Tony.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
India Pale Ale, It'll take anything off anything.....Grand drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist it...I'll get me coat right now, or pyjamas anyway. Night, night.....

Ron

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Yeah Ron, my first thought too, wasen't sure weather I should drink it or clean paint with it, Hmm.

So some sort of paint stripper for acrylics then. Never heard of it before. Thanks to Andy for info.

Cheers,

Tony

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi Tony,

IPA is another word for Isopropyl alcohol, it soon gets rid of spirit or water based paints. I use it to thin Tamiya acrylic paints and cleaning the airbrush. But I'm sure it does nothing for enamels! As Spanner says a drop of India Pale Ale might be better in the long run? well it might make you feel better about making a mistake, and remember what they say about the chap who never made a mistake....

Regards

Mel.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I hear that oven cleaner works as well.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Think I'd be a bit scared to put oven cleaner on my models, but thanks for the tip.

Tony.

L

Louise Powell

IPA is pure alcohol base solution.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ISOPROPANOL-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-9-250ml/dp/B003D8QFQO

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
hi everyone

ive used ipa on a kit sprayed with tamiya spray paint and so far its the only stuff ive found that will shift it after a bit of a soak just rubs off

for acrylics i use mr muscle window cleaner must admit works better on airbrushed acrylics other wise its ipa

regards

D

dubster72

After a disaster with Maskol I used oven cleaner to strip paint (Vallejo acrylic) & it worked wonders.

Patrick