A quick hello

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A quick hello to all on the site.

I came across this forum by following the link from an Scale Model Shop e-mail. I am sure that link has always been there every time I bought stuff from there but I have only just noticed it. Remarkable powers of observation :smiling:

I live in Speyside in the North of Scotland and, unusually for here, it got warm recently (29.7C) just when I was trying to airbrush the Revell 1:72 A400M Atlas (using Revell No.57 Enamel). The finish was ghastly (powdery). After an all-over wipe with calico it is looking better but will now need another coat.

So, I was on the lookout for a suitable retarder and have got carried away reading the posts. The tone of the site is so nice and pleasant that I thought I would dare risk popping my head up.

Keep up the good work!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... and it's a warm welcome from me too :smiling3:
I'm sure you'll find the site a whole lot of fun and inspiration.
I look forward to seeing you around the parish and becoming a part of the great community spirit :smiling3:
Cheers for now,
Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi John and welcome to the forum. Hope that you enjoy it here.
What is your preferred form of plastic? Armour?, Aircraft?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome to the forum John. Sounds like your air brushing issue is more to do with spraying too far away in warmer weather, by the way. Just try a little more thinners and spraying a little closer.

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John and welcome to the forum. Hope that you enjoy it here.
What is your preferred form of plastic? Armour?, Aircraft?
Thank you.
Preferred are the styrene kits (Airfix, Revell, Italeri, ICM and Aoshima are in the stash). Currently got the Revell 1:72 A400M Atlas, AIP 1:350 Thunderbird 2 and the Revell 1:72 F-117A on the go.
Next up will be the Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat (the Buckie one) followed by the Revell 1:72 Atlantic Eagle (Breguet).

Aircraft are my main like but I have others (e.g. Type 45 Destroyer, Space Shuttle, Saturn V, Antonov MRIJA) in the queue.

Thanks for the kind welcome.
John

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI John well theres ships an a big i1/48 saturn v bein built on her an plenty of aircraft so there is plenty up your street
an welcome from me
chrisb mtb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome to the asylum John!!

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
welcome to the forum! Temperatures have been so high, that I wouldn't attempt using my airbrush, even with a big dollop of retarder! Is that your usual scale, 1/72,? , and aircraft your usual genre? Whatever your vice, you'll find like-minded people here!!
Dave

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome to the forum John. Sounds like your air brushing issue is more to do with spraying too far away in warmer weather, by the way. Just try a little more thinners and spraying a little closer.
Tim,
I appreciate the advice; I'll try to get closer. The most awkward bit is getting into the fuselage under the wing roots but I'll have a go.
Thanks,
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
A warm welcome to the best modelling forum on the web.
I notice that you will soon be building the Airfix Severn Class lifeboat. When I lived on the Isle of Lewis I adapted that kit to the Stornoway boat. I'll look forward to seeing what you make of that rather old kit.
Jim

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
welcome to the forum! Temperatures have been so high, that I wouldn't attempt using my airbrush, even with a big dollop of retarder! Is that your usual scale, 1/72,? , and aircraft your usual genre? Whatever your vice, you'll find like-minded people here!!
Dave
Dave,
Normally 1:72. However, I have just spent the afternoon cataloguing my kits so that my bundle of instructions are available for others. I posted the list as a reply in the thread "Instructions" under "Reference" so that everyone can see.

I appreciate the welcome; thanks.
John