A Temporary Aircraft Standing - My first ever dio attempt

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Got bored earlier tonight and it's to hot to do any painting so i decided off the cuff to do a little temporary hard standing for one of my 1/48 kits. I've been wanting to do this for an absolute age and tonight i just went for it.

The idea is that as the Luftwaffe are being pushed and pulled in all directions they are being denied access to airfields due to allied air attacks. So are more and more operating from temporary airfields.

Here's my efforts so far. Cut all the planks from balsa and have PVA'd them on. In this heat it won't take it to go off. I'll be adding mud, grass and bushes around it later. Need to find something to stain the planks with.

Any advice most welcome.

IMG_1446.JPGIMG_1447.JPGIMG_1449.JPGIMG_1450.JPGIMG_1451.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Al' to stain the boards get yourself some cheap children's acrylics. I use the ones in the little tubes. Otherwise you will be wasting your good acrylics.

Paint your boards in a watered down coat of brown. Let this dry a bit then go over various boards with a slightly different shade of your original colour (Use a bit of dark blue mixed with the brown)......Repeat, but with a touch of green so you get a nice variation of plank shades.

I'm sure the base will turn out fine, but keep in mind balsa is not so good on small scale stuff. The grain is not 'Tight' enough and sort of fluffy. A far better alternative would be coffee stirrers.

I hope the above will be of some help.

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ron. Coffee stirrers are hard to come by here in the middle of nowhere. So i thought the balsa would work. It's only a trial thing and a massive learning process for me. I have a big dio planned and that'll be more work for me so this is just to get my creative juices flowing as it were.

Someone way back somewhere did say to use brown ochre oils and just thin them down instead? What's your thoughts?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i bought a little bottle of wood stain from ebay.....cost a couple of quid and will last me a dozen or more projects

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Balsa really soaks up whatever you put on it unless you seal it w/paint/varnish/etc. I use ice cream/Popsicle sticks or scale lumber in Douglas Fir. These have tight grain & take a razor saw, adhesives, wood stain or paint nicely. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Al - ebay is a good source if you can't grab free ones

Coffee stirrers

You can also get a lifetime supply bundle of 1000 for about £6

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. I'll know for future reference. This was just a spur of the moment thing and also gives me something to use to photograph some other builds on. I might even do a 1/32 scale one eventually.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Anther source is pound shop garden plant markers, they are like big ice lolly sticks, nice and smooth ( slightly bigger, but better quality wood than coffee stirrers) and the ones I got were fifty for a pound.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Ron.
Someone way back somewhere did say to use brown ochre oils and just thin them down instead? What's your thoughts?

I'm a cheapskate re-cyclist and always looking for the cheapest and 'free-est' options, so why waste money on relatively expensive stuff when dirt cheapo options work just as well?

Anyway, thinned oils stink!
I always use those cheap acrylics for any diorama base work and thinned down with tap water they don't smell!
I would experiment and find what suits you best. Dioramas are great fun, especially when you don't know what ideas are likely to come along whilst building them.

Don't get me wrong Al', balsa is great and easier to cut. It's just that for smaller applications lolly sticks and stirrers are a better option. Keep them in mind for any future work.
Jump in, have fun and enjoy watching you creations come to life.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good man yer'self!

Nice to see staggered joints on your boards. A sometimes forgotten detail.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Seen a few pics around of German wood hard standings. Most weren't symmetrical and all had staggered boards.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So started to progress with this today a little. Going by the Ron theory of free-est, i got some mud from the garden and cooked it/dried it out and mixed it with diluted PVA. As you can see it is drying on the board. It looks a little rough but most of it will be grassed over.

Any advice or tips?

IMG_1452.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So i stained the wood with some highly diluted brown paint. Think it was enough to make it look like it was new(ish). I've then gone over some planks with a darker brown and for around the engine/fuel tank area some black. I can always add more if needed. Less is more as they say.

IMG_1455.JPGIMG_1456.JPGIMG_1458.JPGIMG_1459.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Just plodding on with it as SWMBO is watching Kylie @ Glasto on tv. Not my kind of thing. Now if it was Lacuna Coil then i'd be 'glued' to it.

Added first layer of 2mm grass. Will move on to the 4/6mm next.

IMG_1460.JPGIMG_1461.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Found this old thread again so i'll post the pics of my progression here rather than 'cluttering up' the "What's on the bench" thread. Can't believe i started this dio way back in 2019!

Here are the pics of what i've done since the last entry on here.

Never did add the 4mm and 6mm static grass way back then so this is what it's like now i have.

IMG_2120.JPGIMG_2121.JPG

Got hold of some lichen and dried it out. Next time i'm going to use Glycerine to preserve them as the reindeer lichen has become very brittle. I pulled the various lichens apart into branches/bushes of the size i wanted.

IMG_2128.JPGIMG_2129.JPG

Painted with Tamiya Flat Earth. Maybe next time i'll hit it with a lighter brown from above to give some different contrast.

IMG_2130.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_2132.JPG

Added three different types of fine foam scatter tonight. Started off with Alpine Green as the dark base colour. Then added Mid-summer green. And then finally hit it very lightly with Bristlecone Green.

IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG