A6M5 Zero type 52 1/48 Hasegawa

T

treyzx10r

I'm needing a change so this seemed a good canidate. The office was a nice fit ,not sure I nailed the color but its fine for me.

Wheel bay and flap interior color is unique,I used some transparent blue over the green and it seems close?

The wing to fuse fit was about 1/16 off and bending the wing tips up to seal the gap would've made the dihedral out of scale. I spread the fuse apart and tach CA 'd the cockpit floor corners to hold it,all it needed was a touch of putty on the starbord wing

Based the fuse with ts30 silver then added some darker panels to break it up along with some white on the control surfaces

T

treyzx10r

Trying something new with shapie pens,the test panel I did had the amount of bleed thru I was looking for so giving it a go here.

I also tried the salt method for the first time ,not so sure about it what do you all think?

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Trey, i think you need to keep doing the salt method mate. You've pulled it off and looks great, can't wait to see it all done.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
What's the salt method?
In a nut shell:

You paint the base colour, in Treys build the silver. when dry you spray the kit with water and sprinkle salt in the places you want the silver to show though. leave it to dry so the salt sticks and the water dries away.

Then you spray the top colour, in this case green. When that is dry, you can then brush the salted parts off with a stiff brush and some times by rinsing under lukewarm water.

The salt removed you get a nice flaky effect as if the top coat of paint has peeled away, or rubbed off.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tell you what Trey, that is a lot better than my first attempt! Looks good mate!

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Great work mate. The paint looks excellent. Can't tell its the first time you have used the salt method.

Cheers

Kresten

First Name
Andy
Hi Trey,

Thank you for sharing this build, it looks great...

\ said:
In a nut shell:You paint the base colour, in Treys build the silver. when dry you spray the kit with water and sprinkle salt in the places you want the silver to show though. leave it to dry so the salt sticks and the water dries away.

Then you spray the top colour, in this case green. When that is dry, you can then brush the salted parts off with a stiff brush and some times by rinsing under lukewarm water.

The salt removed you get a nice flaky effect as if the top coat of paint has peeled away, or rubbed off.

Ian M
Hi Ian,

Many many thanks for sharing that, I've often wondered how people get this kind of effect...

Andy...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good trey, just the right amount of chipping, the cockpit colour looks fine to me too, and the flaps and u/c bays are good too. Its a weird colour to get right ,the aotake laquer. Ive found that a mix of 4 parts tamiya X23 clear blue,and 1 part X25 clear green is great if applied over a silver basecoat. keep it up mate , nice to see some more jap stuff, cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Looking good Trey.A Jap aircraft is a good subject to try the salt chipping teqnique.I've seen quite a few photo's of them with lots of paint missing.Wonder if they bothered priming their aircraft before spraying the top coat.More like it was the harsh conditions they operated in that made the paint flake off.I've heard you can get a similar effect using blobs of masking fluid.Havent tried it myself though.

J

JFJ

Another visual treat i guess. LOL. Excellent detail work on the cockpit. Love to see more

Adrian

T

treyzx10r

Thanks everyone really appreciate the positive support John ,Kresten,Andy,papa(Ian),Adrian,and Tony thanks for the formula ,also Ian I thank you for taking the time to field the salt technique question you explained it far better than I could lol. Dave I thought abought the liquid mask even have some on hand but wanted to take a swing at this. I might try the liquid mask on the George in my stash seems to me like you would have more control over it as the salt has a radom factor to it. Then again that random factor is the whole point of the salt is'nt it ,oh well I'm having fun either way. Not much progress to report ,did try some fast frame for the canopy as it came with the kit. The plus is you get pre cut self adhesive frame work for both sides of the canopy that do need to be painted(they come clear) and once in place do give a authentic look. The down side was that it did require some cutting down as it was too long in places and was really fiddly to work with. Dry fit looks pretty good no big gaps to deal with

Last edited:
First Name
Andy
\ said:
Not much progress to report ,did try some fast frame for the canopy as it came with the kit. The plus is you get pre cut self adhesive frame work for both sides of the canopy that do need to be painted(they come clear) and once in place do give a authentic look. The down side was that it did require some cutting down as it was too long in places and was really fiddly to work with.
Hi Trey,

May I ask what 'Fast Frame' is please...:thinking:

Thank you...

Andy...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Hi Trey,May I ask what 'Fast Frame' is please...:thinking:

Thank you...

Andy...
Me too!! Anything to make the job of painting/masking canopies easier!!!! cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Andy ,Tony. Basically fast frames are pre-cut self adhesive film used to replicate the actual frame work,this set is the first time I've tried it so the fit may be better or worse for other kits. I would'nt exactly say its 'easier' but it was nice to have the inner frame work for a change. The build is moving along almost ready for a decal session.

T

treyzx10r

Getting closer to wrapping up my first Zeke in over 20 years. I like the challenge of doing a heavily weathered bird and the Pacific theater did beat these up a bit

hope I did'nt get too carried away

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Perfect trey, just right. Im in a bit of a japanese phase at the moment too, this has just moved a few closer to the top of the to do pile!! 5star job , cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just fantastic i'm just dreaming of being that good at the moment but with joining this forum i know i'm getting better well done so far

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Trey

No you have defiantly not over done the weathering it looks great. How did you weather over the decals? they look so realistic.

Vaughan