AB spraying into internal corners

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello all.
I have trawled through all of the posts in the Airbrush section and could not find a solution to the following. I'd appreciate any pointers from those who have overcome it.

Another one of my current builds is the Revell 1:72 F-117A Nighthawk. On the underside are 3 closed recesses (the undercarriage bays) that are meant to be painted gloss white.
When trying to land the paint into the bottom corners, the air flow bounces back making deposition difficult.
I have also noticed that, presumably due to the turbulent airflow, there is increased localised drying of the paint which gives rise to a localised grainy paint finish.

Is this another manifestation of my failure to thin the mix enough (I have been using 1:1) or is something else at play?

Kind regards,
John

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I usually try to get the ab right in close as I can and barely pull the trigger so there is the smallest flow of paint so I can concentrate on that one particular area and lightly build up the coverage but keep the ab moving around slightly or the pressure can start blowing the applied paint around if it's wet enough,if that makes any sense.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
To get into corners you have to get in close like you would for airbrushing fine lines. You will need to drop the pressure as low as possible. If you go too low you will get tip drying and poor atomisation of the paint leading to splattering. To prevent this the paint needs to be more thinned. Also draw back the trigger to release only a small amount of paint. Your H&S Evolution has, I think, an adjustment, on the end of the handle, which limits needle movement and so limits paint release. You can screw that in so only a small amount of paint comes out. Also as Mark said try to keep the airbrush moving even just slightly.

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I usually try to get the ab right in close as I can and barely pull the trigger so there is the smallest flow of paint so I can concentrate on that one particular area and lightly build up the coverage but keep the ab moving around slightly or the pressure can start blowing the applied paint around if it's wet enough,if that makes any sense.
Mark,
Abundant sense.
Thank you.
John

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
To get into corners you have to get in close like you would for airbrushing fine lines. You will need to drop the pressure as low as possible. If you go too low you will get tip drying and poor atomisation of the paint leading to splattering. To prevent this the paint needs to be more thinned. Also draw back the trigger to release only a small amount of paint. Your H&S Evolution has, I think, an adjustment, on the end of the handle, which limits needle movement and so limits paint release. You can screw that in so only a small amount of paint comes out. Also as Mark said try to keep the airbrush moving even just slightly.
Jim,
Ah, so that’s how fine lines are done. Haven’t done any of that yet but was wondering how to manage it.
I’ve got a serious amount of practising to do.
Thanks.
John

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Don't try to paint into the corner, but paint each 'wall' up to the corner, if that makes sense.
Pete
Pete,
I’ll have a go.
You know, from your reply and the others, it really strikes me that the more I think I am starting to understand the process the more I realise how little I know. It’s discipline all of its own.
Appreciate your guidance.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John, airbrushing also allows you to layer in the paint without waiting for a full cure provided your air pressure isn't too high and you layer evenly without paint pooling. Always have your airbrush on the move. The only time you stay at a point is when you have mastered the pull back motion on the lever to release paint...this works for giving pinpoint dark edges around rivets or bolt heads.

Cheers,
Richard

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, airbrushing also allows you to layer in the paint without waiting for a full cure provided your air pressure isn't too high and you layer evenly without paint pooling. Always have your airbrush on the move. The only time you stay at a point is when you have mastered the pull back motion on the lever to release paint...this works for giving pinpoint dark edges around rivets or bolt heads.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
I've only just worked out how to find messages to previous posts, so apologies for the lateness of reply.
Appreciate the tip. I'm convinced you need a degree to operate an airbrush :nerd:
Regards,
John