Academy 1\400 centenary Edition Titanic

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

hi all thought i would post some pic of my attempt at this iconic ship.

I have decided to light it up so one of the first jobs was to drill all the portholes out (all 846 of them)

View attachment 115596

View attachment 115597

View attachment 115598

I know you cant really tell from the photos but trust me they are all drill out (three different sizes as well)

View attachment 115599

the wooden decking is supposed to be pre cut but it is not so be warned anyone else who builds this kit it was a real worry as i had already removed the seats to add the wooden decking so if i ruined the cutting out of the decking veneer i would have ruined the whole ship.

View attachment 115600

also had a prob with this bent mast but cup of boiling water and some gentle bending the other way whilst cooling it cured that.

View attachment 115601

the photo etch is tiny

View attachment 115602

View attachment 115603

the first pic is of the normal mold injected window the 2nd pic is with that removed and the photo etch window in place.

View attachment 115604

to throw more light out from the leds i have lined the inside with foil (which yes meant piercing all 846 portholes again)

View attachment 115605

View attachment 115606

View attachment 115607

View attachment 115608

View attachment 115609

will post some more of this build tomorrow getting late now

mc9rhw.jpg

120nfc5.jpg

14ucm0x.jpg

25tavr6.jpg

2z5kntc.jpg

2whqs83.jpg

dy975i.jpg

2mydr9w.jpg

1zyjwaq.jpg

25ugutt.jpg

5aq3rt.jpg

rh8mlz.jpg

2it06wx.jpg

oihxs6.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

as promised a few more photos up to date.

I have decided to cut away some of the inner decking to allow the light to shine up through them (hope that idea dos'nt jump up and bite me in the bum)

i have made a jig for bending the photo etch seats out of one of the plastic ones i removed from the deck before i put the wood decking down (these seats are not the ones that came with the kit by the way the kit ones are not any where near scale)

i know the bottom of the seat is a bit naff that was my terrible cutting off the sprue oops !! not the fault of the jig .

just a pic to show how small these little things are.

So there it is up to date lots more to do and loads of photo etch, its my first experience of PE as i think everyone calls it now, and i have to say i think i will think twice before trying another set my eyes are not what they once were.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Sterling work, outstanding detailing, enjoying this very much.

Si:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all sorry its been such a long time since my last post but i sort of lost interest in her for a while for several reasons, 1 the mast got bent again also the pe seats at the stern got bent up as did the railing running around the raised observation area at the back (came home from work to find her on the floor upside down, got there from the back of a unit up against the wall. but no one touched it, it just moved 18" across the unit and on the floor on its own) 2, never used pe before and finding it really hard it is so small 3, and the main reason the pe windows i got from Toms Model Works does not include all the windows, the ones i have done so far (which the kit included) wont even be seen once i put the sides on, the ones that are missing are all on the top decks so could be seen(see pic)

as you can see the tall windows with the arches at the top are not present in the pe kit.

Still all that aside i have decided to build and paint what i have got so if there are no pe windows for the part i will just paint the plastic parts ( its a good job i didnt cut the plastic windows out before i checked the pe which is what i have been doing, i would have been right up the creek without a paddle then).

so here is a pic of the plastic windows painted, i dont think it notices that bad actually.

First Name
barry
Looking good

I built this model last year for my daughter, i also used p e windows and railings ( i thought about lights but chickened out of drilling all the holes)

my kit came with pre cut decking must have been a pain having to cut them out.

i dont know how far you have got with the decks but i found if you fit all decks to sides of superstructure you can slot the whole asembly into hull

when it finished .hope it helps with your build.

It looks great when finished.

C

cryton 5

hi well blown away and jealous , being my first project revell 1/350 scale in 2010 ,titanic has been

a fascinating topic since young if only for the ship is splender and size ,i like the lighting effect

I ,am playing with the ideal off upgrading with fiber optic's at a later date .will looking on progress

thumps up regards cry !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lots of detail going into this build, nice work so far

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi guys well the other night I had a bit of a disaster I was trying to straighten the mast, which had started to bend again and it snapped off Oops said a few choice words which I am sure you can imagine words like umm....... Flipping Heck!! and Oh my gosh!!! that sort of thing.

Anyway today i resolved to cure it .I tried a piece of copper wire but being the same width all the way up it did not look at all right, so i thought about using the end of a paint brush and that worked extremely well. Here is the result, I think if you didn't know it was snapped you wouldn't know.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks guys wish I had sorted the mast that way in the first place I should have known it would just keep bending as it was bent on the sprue so must have came out of the mould hot and bent and then set like it. Of course SWMBO having put the lid put on the box the first time I straightened it and then, mysteriously finding it on the floor after traveling 18 inches from up against the wall, across the unit and onto the floor to bend the mast again, probably didn't help, but at least it's okay now.

D

Deleted member 3568

Well I plucked up the courage and got her back out today brushed off the dust and picked a really simple bit of photo etch was really pleased with how it went so went to stick it on her and guess what @@!!!! stuck to my finger and by the time i got it off and sort of straightened out this is what it looked like

View attachment 87033

View attachment 87034

View attachment 87035

View attachment 87036

definitely done with pe going to build the rest of the kit with the plastic bits ( will have to use the pe stairs and seats as i've already cut those off and they were moulded to the decks) I wish I had a time machine I would go back in time and get the standard kit as it goes together great you should see the PE life boat winches I dont know how anyone could build them, I take my hat off to all you PE users very difficult stuff.

IMAG1863.jpg

IMAG1864.jpg

IMAG1865.jpg

IMAG1866.jpg

Last edited: