Academy A6M5c 1/72

A

AJay

Here's an aircraft I'm working on. The build itself went well, apart from the cowl being a lousy fit. I had a spare kit so used the cowl from that and guess what? It's still a bad fit.........Puzzled by this as no one else reports this problem. The cockpit is very sparse and the seat isn't very accurate, but that can be dealt with if you can work so small. For the money though, you cannot go wrong with Academy kits in 1/72 :smiling3:

I bought myself some Vallejo aluminium paint and am very impressed with the finish. It does have a tendency to lift if you apply masking tape (despite numerous coats of varnish). but nothing that can't be touched up later. The hardest part of the painting thus far was those leading edge stripes.

View attachment 46447

View attachment 46448

The plan is to weather using masking fluid or salt. I'm not sure which yet as never done the salt method.

View attachment 49453

View attachment 49454

a6m5 wip 2.jpg

a6m5 wip1.jpg

A

AJay

It is indeed! I have to pre-shade the thing yet...........wish me luck ;)

V

Vajled

great work so far...

how are these metalizers from Vallejo? I got set of them from Vallejo and how I can see here they looks fantastic...

Roman

A

AJay

Thanks, Roman. The aluminium works great, but make sure you let it dry thoroughly and varnish before masking tape is added - I'm sure you know this already ;)

A

AJay

Thanks, Ian. I used Tamiya acrylics with this one (apart from the aluminium coat), and compared to Vallejo they airbrushed like an absolute dream!

First Name
Dave
Hi Alex.I tried weathering a 1/48 Zero with masking fluid but didnt like the result (see my gallery).From what ive seen of the salt method it give a more realistic finish.

A

AJay

Thanks, Dave. Too late, that part's all done now using masking fluid. I'll try the salt on a future build though. :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Your weathering looks good.A lotbetter than my attempt.

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
top class alex ..... i have seen a few of your models and your work is exceptional .....rgds lindsey.

D

David 317

She is looking good!

I will watch this one with great interest as I've just pulled this kit out of the loft to do next. I ordered Auclad for the metal, didn't think to look at Vallejo (which I prefer). What other colours are you using? Tamiya?

A

AJay

Thanks, Lindsey, really appreciate the kind words :smiling3:

David, thanks very much, mate. I used Tamiya acrylics, and as I'm building a Nakajima built Zero I used XF-11 (lightened a little with white) for the top surface and XF-12 for the lower surfaces. It's not worth pre-shading the top as it hardly shows through the dark green.

You probably already know this, but depending on whether you build the Mitsubishi or Nakajima built A6M5, there will be some small differences to colours on the cowl and the inside of the gear wells and doors, etc - oh, and to the deck under the canopy. I figured I might as well get it right so am going all out on this little kit and loving it.

I'm just waiting for an email about some more details right now. :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's looking good Alex, look forward to seeing the completed masterpiece.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think it looks great. I've always liked the 'well used' look.

A

AJay

Thank you, Joe :smiling3:

Colin, thanks for looking. Really going all out to get this as accurate colour-wise as possible; it won't be perfect, but it'll hopefully be close enough :smiling3:

D

David 317

Thanks for the colour tips!

No! I didn't know about the Mitsubishi or Nakajima build differences.

Some internet trawling will hopefully sort that! LOL!

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing them progressed & finished!