Academy MiG 23 Flogger - finished!

M

munkster

Model #3 done. Rushed it a bit towards the end because I was getting a little frustrated with the fit (and am already champing at the bit to get started on my Williams FW16). Tried using a bit of Milliput for the first time to straighten some things out, didn't go so well but I tried and can add it to my list of "new experiences"... Can't really tell on the finished item unless you look closely, and I remained amazed at what a difference a bit of "dark dirt" (other weathering products are available!!) can have on a boring flat finish... Still need to improve my canopy work and masking in general but again not that noticeable on the finished item... Hope you like it! :smiling:

View attachment 27529View attachment 27530View attachment 27531View attachment 27532View attachment 27533View attachment 27534View attachment 27535View attachment 27536

ps - here's what I was aiming for...

View attachment 27537

View attachment 33375

View attachment 33376

View attachment 33377

View attachment 33378

View attachment 33379

View attachment 33380

View attachment 33381

View attachment 33382

View attachment 33383

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

realmig23.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have a modern jet fighter in my stash and it will be my first attempt at one.

I know it's an old cliche, but if mine ends up half as good as this I'll be well chuffed.

The weathering is not over done, just enough...

I like it, well done munkster!

Happy Easter,

Ron

M

munkster

You do realise that the photos hide a multitude (well, one or two) of sins of course... But thanks all the same!! Cheers, Rob

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi rob, dont beat yourself up mate, it looks great to me! The weathering is,as ron says , just right, a lot of the cold war era soviet aircraft got a lot of use (as can be seen in the pic of the real one).You say you werent that impressed with the academy kit? it looks every inch a flogger so top marks for getting a fantastic result.Come on the russians! cheers tony

M

munkster

Hehe, cheers... I promise you I'm not beating myself up, but when you get up close you can see that it's a bit ragged in places and you just want to do your best that's all. As long as it looks good on the shelf that's all that matters to me though and I'm happy with it!!

It's not that I wasn't impressed with the kit but the sidepods/intakes/whatever the correct name is were a bit of a pain and didn't line up very well. I did try and remedy it but I'm not yet able to carry out reconstructive surgery that well so they're a tad approximate. There also seemed to be a lot of flash (again, correct term?) on some parts, and on some of the fiddlier parts too, ones where you can't reasonably get a sanding stick to take the brunt of it (eg. on the landing gear pylons, which are pretty contorted in the first place!).

Thanks again though, this forum is what's inspiring me to keep improving. Just don't tell SWMBO how much all this is costing!!! :laughing: :shhhh:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks very nice,I reckon you've made a very good job of it. I don't know a thing about modern jets but I wouldn't mind that on my shelf,if it would fit.

Cheers

Steve

M

munkster

Interesting what we consider a "modern" jet of course... The MiG 23 first entered service over 40 years ago!! Crazy huh ;)

Question is: what to build next, 1/72 Revell Me262, 1/48 ICM Spitfire XVI or 1/20 Fujimi Williams FW16 Imola... Spot the odd one out, in subject matter and cost!!!

A friend has sent me an Eduard brass kit for the Me262 so that would be an interesting choice from a "skill acquisition" point of view but I'm really desperate to get going on the FW16. Or maybe I should buy another kit; I mean 3 models in the stash is pathetic right?? :smiling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
40 years ago....that's definitely modern lol. The only jet I ever build is the Me262 and that entered service nearly seventy years ago. I concede that that is not modern!

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Munkster, that looks pretty good to me! Can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

Gern

M

munkster

Cheers - reckon your Tomcat is unlikely to come off worse not least because it appears to be in a much bigger scale!! :smiling:

Nice work - I built a F15 Eagle for my first model on my return to the hobby, kind've wish I'd gone for a Tomcat, they always look a bit more menacing. PLUS they were in the movie "The Final Countdown", a movie I've rediscovered after seeing it as a young lad and never quite knew whether I'd imagined it until it turned up on BBC2 a few months ago!!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice indeed, looks like i'll have to get something jet like in the stash (thinking about it, i'll have to get a aircraft in there too lol. It's a tanks). I've gone mad with the five stars today so you've got some too.

Have fun, John

First Name
Mike
Nice work on the MiG, Rob. Those one-colour schemes can be tricky to get right, they can end up looking almost toy-like; you've achieved a nice used look without resorting to heavy pre-shading – looks great.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work, single colour aircraft always seem to be a bit of a pain to reproduce in a model but you've got it nice here.

Regards

Colin M.........

M

munkster

Thanks guys - looking at some of the amazing results you're getting your praise is very flattering. Cheers!

1275GT

Munkster, thats a very tidy finish on your Mig, mate - nice one! I tried a PE set for the first time on my Wildcat and I'm hooked on the stuff.....in 1/72 you may want to keep and eye on your eyesight, as it were !! But do it, it's good fun.

Cheers, Neil

M

munkster

Holy thread resurrection Batman! Thanks though...

I have to say that after a couple of 1/72 kits I've now chickened out and started concentrating more on 1/48 just because I was getting a little fed up with the fiddliness of it all. Maybe I'll soon get fed up with having to deal with a larger number of parts and/or run out of shelf space and revert to the tiddlers before long :smiling:

C

Caledonia

Hi Rob, Must say I have a weakness for Russian aircraft, and you have certainly done this one proud. Keep them coming. Cheers Derek