Academy Tiger-1 mid production.

D

dubster72

Those Academy kits are great with all that interior detail. Looks like you're coping with it really well Robert.

Look forward to seeing this one get built.

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Robert. I have one of these finished in my gallery.

They make up into a superb kit....just take your time, 'cos it is fiddly isn't it?

Just one thing, and I hope you don't mind the suggestion..

It looks like you are applying a whitewash. Keep in mind it was applied with a big brush, so it was a rather hit and miss affair and quickly sploshed on. So you will see some of the cammo showing through here and there....

I really hope you don't mind me pointing this out...I'm always scared stiff of upsetting people with suggestions and/or advise!

Ron

D

dubster72

A whitewash Ron? I thought that was just the grey plastic ... if I'm wrong then apologies!

Patrick

P

pneupack

Thanks Ron never thought of that i have painted it first with german grey and making some chips around the zimmerit to show through the grey and my wheels r a bit slap on : ) and no problem about feed back of any kind I need all the ideas and help, what camo do u think I need? should paint german grey on zimmerit first then slap white on?. Thanks mate for any feedback this is what I am on here for lots of help : ). think I should paint grey on zimmerit and slap white on.

Robert

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
A whitewash Ron? I thought that was just the grey plastic ... if I'm wrong then apologies!Patrick
No problem Patrick, it's just that on my monitor the turret and barrel look white.....!? So I kind'a assumed it was whitewashed.

Robert, there are more knowledgeable people on here with regards to colour for your Tiger, but as I have pictures of Tigers with cammo or grey, with white wash, grey is just fine. Particularily in Russian snow. A lot depends on the time and place which paint job you choose.

But I'll leave it to those who can give you the diffinitive answer...Either way you will be right to slap the white stuff on!

Cheers,

Ron

D

dubster72

Robert, the Tiger variant that your building would have had a basecoat of dark yellow ( dunkelgelb) with red/brown and or olive green camo applied locally.

The camo was usually applied via spraygun in loose wavy line patterns, and the intensity of the colour varied considerably as it was thinned with gasoline.

If you go for a whitewashed look, it was never applied heavily & washed/wore off pretty quick.

If you have a particular theatre or scenario in mind, let me know & I'll check my records for example photos.

Patrick

P

pneupack

Hi Patrick/Ron

As I said before painted it German grey but maybe a bit heavy on the white just want to do a winter camouflage was also thinking of olive green stripes over the white which i have seen on net,but maybe as you have said should stick with the camo with the kit yellow and red/brown yep going back to the paint board : ) then will slap the white on and try and weather it with a bit showing through I would like to set it in a small winter scene with a building or sitting in a tree area or beside a burnt out Russian vehicle just thinking at mom but first things first Tank build : ) I would appreciate any photos and feedback have been looking on net etc lots of ideas. Thanks guys for your comments at mom I just use brushes have got a spraygun which a friend give me but have not used it yet. Wil check out your profiles for pics also.

Robert

Last edited:
B

Bunker-Boys

Could always look into the hairspray technique for weathering that whitewash. paint your base and after it dries put a coat of hairspray on it. After the hairspray dries paint your white. After the white dries use water and a stiff paint brush to rub off the white in the areas you want the whitewash to be gone or faded on.

D

dubster72

If you do use the hairspray technique Robert, be sure to seal the paintwork with something like Klear, otherwise you might rub it off as you're removing the hairspray / whitewash.

Patrick

P

pneupack

Tiger-1 progress

View attachment 40112View attachment 40113View attachment 40114View attachment 40115View attachment 40116View attachment 40117

Progress on the Tiger-1 only my second Tank maybe to much detail but I am glad with the build so far good fun taking my time with this one hope to finish with a winter wash and would love to set it into a winter dio we will see.

Robert

View attachment 43900

View attachment 43901

View attachment 43902

View attachment 43903

View attachment 43904

View attachment 43905

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

D

dubster72

That looks pretty good Robert, especially for only your 2nd tank. Those Academy kits have lots of detail!

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks great Robert. Sure is a lot of detail in there!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking really good Robert. Nice paintwork. It brings back good, if frustrating, memories of my go at this model!

Cheers,

Ron

P

Polux

Looking really good Robert! Fantastic work!!I wish to see it in a winter dio!!! I'm sure that will be amanzing!

Have fun

Polux

S

sprayman

Now there is some serious detail in this kit, and you have done it justice Robert.....I do love the tigers, and you have brought this big cat to life, great build and a great paint job mate...very well done.

P

pneupack

Back at the Tiger had a few things to do this last week or so, Tiger had to wait : ( a couple more pics, near finished wheels Tracks and a white wash and weathering which should be fun.... Eduard zimmerit used and will be using Vallejo for weathering has been great fun will post finished pics soon.

Robert

View attachment 41088View attachment 41093View attachment 41089View attachment 41090View attachment 41091View attachment 41092

View attachment 44747

View attachment 44748

View attachment 44749

View attachment 44750

View attachment 44751

View attachment 44752

DSCF2872.jpg

DSCF2904.jpg

DSCF2915.jpg

DSCF2918.jpg

DSCF2921.jpg

DSCF2923.jpg

D

dubster72

That looks nice Robert, although I'm not a fan of Eduard zimmerit as I think it's too regular & shallow. The real stuff was applied quite roughly with greater depth to the ridges.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers

Patrick

P

pneupack

Yes Patrick you are right my next Tiger will be applied with the putty : ) I am already looking up to buy another Tiger as I liked doing this one a bit to much detail at times but enjoyable. I sent for the Eduard kit but when I got it was a bit disappointed thought the putty was a better option but did not want to waste the zimmerit kit.

Robert