Acrylics or Enamels?

S

Screw Loose

I hope someone can answer this one as I am no expert on painting ;)

I am building a Polar Lights USS Enterprise 1:350 kit with a full lighting set in it and have been doing some of the kit modification this week.

To prevent light leakage I have used Tamiya Flat Black in numerous thin coats on the inner surfaces using my Airbrush, and a Gloss white on top with a Gloss clearcoat to finish to help ligh refraction etc :smile11:

But the problem is the amount, wow about 7 tins of each to complete the job!

Are there any alternative types for the exterior, bearing in mind I need to Prime it, put a gloss white on and a pearlescent white also?

What brands are there out there and which is the best route to take, Acrylic or Enamel etc? THe kit recomends Model Master Enamels!?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

D

dubster72

As it's a gloss coat that's needed, how about going to Halfords? It's got to be cheaper & they'll have pearlescent versions too.

Worth a look I'd say!

Patrick

S

sharowjohn

Hi,

If you read the post another Alclad question you will find my experience of Modelmaster enamels so far;I have just spent half the night rectyfying my mistake having done so, lots of soapy water & wet & dry the finish is very good.The mistake I made:- tested the paint after giving it a good shaking a bit thick and er gloopy! so extra thinners instead of the usual 2:1 very nearly 50:50 away we go @ 20 psi should have tried it out on some scrap plastic the pressure was too low: orange peel was the result. Upped the pressure to about 28psi & carried on carefully built the layer faults & all spent tonight rubing it back but it's a good finnish. All down to cost & if you have not used the product before either experiment or rub down.

Cheers sharowjohn.

S

Screw Loose

Thanks.....

Thanks for the reply Folks.....

I have used halfords paints on other models like my remote control Subs, they are about 5ft long so you can imagine the amount of paint. I am thinking of the airbrush just to get the detail right. Plus arent they Celulose based? I cant remember now.

I think I will use the modelmaster paints for the detail sections but the large white parts any manufacturer that can supply a large bloody bottle.

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Hi, If you read the post another Alclad question you will find my experience of Modelmaster enamels so far;I have just spent half the night rectyfying my mistake having done so, lots of soapy water & wet & dry the finish is very good.The mistake I made:- tested the paint after giving it a good shaking a bit thick and er gloopy! so extra thinners instead of the usual 2:1 very nearly 50:50 away we go @ 20 psi should have tried it out on some scrap plastic the pressure was too low: orange peel was the result. Upped the pressure to about 28psi & carried on carefully built the layer faults & all spent tonight rubing it back but it's a good finnish. All down to cost & if you have not used the product before either experiment or rub down.

Cheers sharowjohn.
Thanks for the advice on the PSI on the Compressor! Thats been proving a bit tricky lately.

Primer wise I am trying the Vallejo Range. Seems good primer but has the worst nozzle I have seen, just seems to drip. That had to be channged.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Paul , if youre covering a large area then, as patrick says ,the halfords spray paints are excellent. I use their grey primer on every model , and the white primer and gloss appliance white are superb too, maybe one of these would be ok for your model. cheers tony

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Hi Paul , if youre covering a large area then, as patrick says ,the halfords spray paints are excellent. I use their grey primer on every model , and the white primer and gloss appliance white are superb too, maybe one of these would be ok for your model. cheers tony
Just got some Halfords White Gloss today and thinking of using the Tamiya Pearlescent white as a finishing coat.

Thanks for the advice folks

M

m1ks

Humbrol do large enamel tins in a certain few colours, I know matte white and matte black are among them I believe gloss variations of the same are. One large tin given the thinning required would easily give the coverage of all those tamiya jars you've used.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Just got some Halfords White Gloss today and thinking of using the Tamiya Pearlescent white as a finishing coat. Thanks for the advice folks
One last bit of advice if youre using the gloss appliance white paul, it is fairly thin and in the pursuit of good coverage it can be easy to put too much on with the first coat, and get runs. Better to mist it on in 2 or 3 thin coats. cheers tony

S

Screw Loose

Thanks again folks.....

Just been using the Humbrol Acrylic Tins for some detail work, but I am finding the Tamiya ones cover a little better. Or should I say I am no expert with the Humbrol ones :razz: Never used the aerosol ones, might give them a go.

Your right Tony, I am finding with it lots of thin coats instead of fewer thicker ones. But only learning that after the inevitable runs .....