Adder Mk2 Tank Destroyer

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
one i did a little while back.....a bit of whiffing for somewhere else on t'internet, one of a series of 3 i did

At the end of the North African campaign the British army re-equipped its tank Regiments with newly arrived Sherman's ready for the invasion of Italy in late '43. This left them with a large number of Crusader cruiser tanks which were perfectly usable yet out gunned and out armoured. The decision was made to try turning some into tank destroyers in the style of German and Soviet designs.

This resulted in the Mk1.....a short production run revealed that it still had limitations which led to the Mk2 with better sloped armour and a larger gun, and would become the design pattern to convert considerable numbers of Crusaders which would go on to provide sterling service in Italy and onwards into Germany

with Universal Calibrated Unit of Comparison

with a Mk1 Adder

Was made using a dead Crusader (possibly Italerai???) that I acquired in a box full of old built 1/35 tanks........main excuse to do this was to have some fun on the cheap and have a go at some improvised scratching..........everything other than the hull is either scratched or from the bits box...didn't even buy any plasticard for the casement cos I came up with a free alternative....it was a way to play around with washes and MiG dusts without using a new virgin kit......if it all went a bit Pete Tong I wasn't going to lose anything of worth

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Polux

Very nice little tank!

Interesting to see the difference of a normal or weathered tank!

Fantastic build.

Cheers. Polux

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent use of old/unwanted kits. I'm intrigued by this though

didn't even buy any plasticard for the casement cos I came up with a free alternative.
can you enlighten us ?Paul

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's great Paul, a cracking piece of scratching.

BTW love your avatar, is it one of yours?

Tony.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
\ said:
I'm intrigued by this though can you enlighten us ?Paul
i was throwing out a few old Ikea cheapo picture frames, the 'glass' was in fact acrylic clear sheet and since i cant throw anything away if i think it might come in useful at some point i squirrelled it away

its not as easy to cut as styrene, quite brittle, but it did the trick......took filler and primer ok