Adhesive problems

S

standby1st

I am trying to stick plasticard to plastic piping as used in domestic plumbing, e.g. sink waste pipes, so far without success.

After roughening the pipe surface, I have tried superglue, solvent adhesive as used for brown plastic main drainage, 5 min. epoxy, Plastic Weld, AmBroid Proweld and polystyrene cement. At best I get a weak bond that does not stand up to any handling; at worst I get no bond at all. Has anybody had the same problem and solved it? BM

G

George

Your problem there is that the tow types of plastic are not compatable so you do not have much chance that I know of, of acheiving your joint, You could try the stuff that they use to stick the plastic piping together which is normally available at you local DIY shop where you get the plastic piping.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am trying to stick plasticard to plastic piping as used in domestic plumbing, e.g. sink waste pipes, so far without success. After roughening the pipe surface, I have tried superglue, solvent adhesive as used for brown plastic main drainage, 5 min. epoxy, Plastic Weld, AmBroid Proweld and polystyrene cement. At best I get a weak bond that does not stand up to any handling; at worst I get no bond at all. Has anybody had the same problem and solved it? BM
*** Hello Standby,you are attempting the impossible with the adhesives that you are using,there is only one adhesive that is capable of sticking these two different types of material together,it is called 'Stabilit' and is made in Germany,it smells revolting but is used by the helicopter enthusiasts to stick different types of material to their helicopter shells,you will have to shop around for it,try Sussex model centre,Midland helicopters etc people like that,it comes in two parts but is not a conventional epoxy as such.

S

standby1st

Thanks for suggestions, Gents, I also tried Loctite Super Plastix which is supposed to work even on "difficult" plastics but also turned out to be a non-starter. Having seen the price of Stabilit (and shelf-life) I have now gone back to earlier technology and used thin ply instead!