Adventures with a 3D printer

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have recently bought a resin 3D Printer, the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro, and here, as promised, is some follow-up.

IMG_20220211_132243828 landscape.jpg

Although I have many years’ experience with other printers I dutifully printed the manufacturer’s test print, called ‘Rook’, which I was expecting to be some kind of Warhammer bird character, but turned out be a boring chess piece, and a very old design at that.

IMG_20220211_132301742 ii.jpg

And yes it is supposed to be upside down. These printers work by printing one super-thin layer at a time on a plate that gradually lifts out of the bath of resin.

This chess piece design has been around in the world we originally called Rapid Prototyping since the year dot. But to be fair it does exemplify the kind of thing moulding can’t do easily- spirals and helixes and tubes without seam lines.

IMG_20220211_170612995.jpg

But this is no use to us military modellers, so let’s find something that is.

I have been preparing a diorama for over ten years which involves GIs climbing down a cargo net into a 1/35 scale Higgins Boat on D-Day. As I researched the side of the ship that the cargo net would hang on I found lots of pics of sailors hanging around watching and I though ‘why not go the whole hog and build part of the ship as well?’ I started to prepare scale drawings and in order to place things correctly I built a detailed 3D digital model which took me over a year, and is still ongoing. But that’s for a separate blog, and probably not until I retire.

So what I am going to print is a part of the ship- a fire-hose point to be precise

pipes close up.jpg

This is the Liberty Ship Jeremiah O’Brien in San Francisco which I am using as the basis for my model. I was fortunate enough to visit her years ago, and don’t I wish I had taken even more photos!

Anyway, here is the digital model for the pipes and hose nozzle, as seen on the printer software. I will make the hose itself from something else.
2022-02-14.png

I cobbled this together digitally from things I downloaded free from the internet and some stuff I created myself. I have spent a long time on this, thinking out of the box to search for interesting stuff I can use-I think this started out as an American fire hydrant.

Here it is with supports added in the slicer software

2022-02-14 (2).png

You will notice that I have rotated it which will help to place the supports in a position out of sight against the wall. Just in case there is a bit too much evidence of them. Generally, though, it is easy to file away, like sprue gates on a moulded model.

3D printers can't print stuff 'in thin air' as it were, so although we don’t get seam lines in 3D printing we can’t always avoid support, but with time and experience you learn ways of minimising it. If I had printed this piece the right way up there would have been support all over the hand wheels, which I want to avoid, naturally. The software places the support automatically but you can edit it to suit your needs.

Here it is in the flesh, so to speak

IMG_20220214_165516308.jpg

It’s not all in focus because I have tried to show the build lines, which are the evidence of the layering process. This was built with a layer height of 0.05mm.

Here it is with supports removed with a sprue cutter- I almost lost two of the wheels to the carpet monster- more care required next time!

IMG_20220301_104049489.jpg

I built a different one with a layer height of 0.02mm
IMG_20220216_162626552.jpg
Not the best picture but I think you can see the difference.

It’s clearly not the same as building it yourself out of bits of plastic and brass, but in many ways building these bits digitally was just as satisfying for me.

I should point out that these resin printers are smelly and messy, so don’t have the machine too near your laptop…..(ask me how I know)! I have so far kept my printer at work where the smells are not even noticed, so it remains to be seen how SWMBO reacts when I take it home…

Obviously, it’s not for everyone, but I think it would be difficult to deny that 3D printing will have an increasing impact on our hobby over the next few years

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Neil,
that's looking good - Is there any shrinkage to be compensated for, or is it dimensionally stable? I only ever used commercial print companies before I retired, so I only ever saw the end results, not the processes. I did consider buying a FDM printer ( an Ender-3 ), but having seen the resin printers decided against it. I don't really have the room for a resin printer, given the smell & the messy clean up, although as the technology advances, it seems to becoming more user friendly. If you take yours home, what sort of area would you use it in?
Thanks for sharing the hydrant!
Dave

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Silly question, I know, but had you cured the parts before handling?

The USB that came with the Mars 2 Pro should have had a seperate folder full of test files, the rook is notoriously bad to print unless you reslice it yourself after calibrating the machine.

one example from the folder. If it isn't on your USB, up to date files from the supplied USB should be available @ http://69.195.111.207/tutorial-download/?t=MARS_2_PRO_USB_Drive_File 456meg

1646134813064.png

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
that's looking good - Is there any shrinkage to be compensated for, or is it dimensionally stable? I only ever used commercial print companies before I retired, so I only ever saw the end results, not the processes. I did consider buying a FDM printer ( an Ender-3 ), but having seen the resin printers decided against it. I don't really have the room for a resin printer, given the smell & the messy clean up, although as the technology advances, it seems to becoming more user friendly. If you take yours home, what sort of area would you use it in?
Thanks for sharing the hydrant!
Dave
Dave, as far as I can tell there's no noticeable shrinkage on such a small piece-but I'm not about to investigate it until it becomes a problem.
FDM printers have their uses- they are getting better but for the kind of thing we do the build lines are just too evident to be worth the cleaning up. I use them a lot in my work where the lines are either not a problem, or if they are it's worth the bother.
As for where to put it.....?
I currently do my modelmaking in the loft so that would be first choice, but if she can smell it from there then it will have to be the garage, which will be a lot less convenient.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Silly question, I know, but had you cured the parts before handling?

The USB that came with the Mars 2 Pro should have had a seperate folder full of test files, the rook is notoriously bad to print unless you reslice it yourself after calibrating the machine.

one example from the folder. If it isn't on your USB, up to date files from the supplied USB should be available @ http://69.195.111.207/tutorial-download/?t=MARS_2_PRO_USB_Drive_File 456meg

View attachment 447330
Thanks for mentioning the handling , Gary.
Yes, I should have pointed out that the parts need to be washed of excess resin in IPA and then cured with UV. I should also have mentioned that it will cost you a fortune in disposable gloves and IPA wipes.
Elegoo do a very good wash and cure station which is another £130 and is another reason I am keeping it at work for the time being-as I haven't bought mine yet!
It's possible to be cheaper about this but I like the streamlined approach.
I must check out the other Elegoo files, although if they are all fantasy they will likely remain virtual, unless one of my grandkids develops an interest:upside:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil

Great job and interesting review of the process. I think it's a shame that the process is still so "smelly and messy" so, for me its something to watch from a safe distance.

John
I think the point is John, that not everyone needs to have one. Have a little search-there must be a community of printers/makers near you that you can befriend to get your Blender sculpts printed?
I personally couldn't offer such a service, but it can't be long before there is a trade going amongst modellers who only want one or two specific pieces , and people who can create them digitally. The youngsters I work with are all capable of creating this stuff, but they are not into this kind of modelling-mostly just gaming or fantasy.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I don't have my printer yet, other things taking priority.
I found watching 3dprintingpro, unclejessy and modbot ( all on youtube ) helped me understand the way the resin systems work, and hopefully will be able to put it to use when I do get the printer.
3dprintingpro has some great tutorials on using ''fan supports'' for delicate parts.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would love to have a shot at this resin printing. I have a few things i would like to design and make. Would need a crash course in it all though and i'm not very good with IT.

Other things to buy/spend money on first but this is defo one for the future

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Going to follow this thread, been doing some research on 3D printers and practicing CAD work/slicing etc. ...as soon as I find a bit of disposable income for the printer and wash/cure station.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
here's my latest experiment,

Shako.JPG

I'm afraid I can't get better definition in the pic, so here's a screen shot of the digital model.
I made the model myself (took me 2 days!) and I have to say I am quite chuffed with it.

Shako complete.jpeg

I need to make the shako plate a tad thicker and add some texture to the cockade, but it's mostly there .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks way out of my comfort zone Neil, but what a complex thing to understand , well done .
This to me is the way that modelling is bound to go, small batches of add ons and then some one will produce a kit and others will follow.
No doubt I shan't be around to witness this , but imagine what the model world will be like in say 25 years, rather like electric cars it will be amazing.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
No doubt I shan't be around to witness this , but imagine what the model world will be like in say 25 years, rather like electric cars it will be amazing.

Your never know John!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
An interesting look into the future Neil. We'll see more and more companies offering aftermarket stuff printed to order. Perhaps 3D printers will become more common when the price drops as it has for other technology.
Like John it's way out of my comfort zone but well done for getting to grips with it.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Jim, I think the real delay in uptake in military and aircraft modelling is due to the demographic of our hobby. The fantasy world is full of stuff to download and print for yourself and many youngsters already have their own printers.
I guess also with fantasy there's no research required, (except maybe for Star Wars rivet counters), so it's easy to create whatever you want.
I believe that if more young people were in our hobby we would see alot more progress

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
One thing that is immediately clear from those links, Gary, is just how unusual many of the items are. Where else can you get children playing leapfrog.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I remember about 5 years ago, a mate of mine who always buys the latest gadgets spend ages in the pub one night trying to explain 3D printers to a group of us. We all enjoyed his conversation but thought he was a bit nuts and it wouldn't come to anything.

And my whole career was in IT so and I thought I was up with technology and the future. I obviously wasn't.