Advice Needed - Revell Alpha

N

norberto_grosso

Hi guys!

I am about to get into airbrushing (haven't tried it yet, fed up with brushes not leaving a even layer of paint on larger surfaces) and I need would some advice.

I have received a Revell Alpha compressor from a friend, and I am about to buy an airbrush set (haven't decided what to buy exactly).

I did some reading on the Revell Alpha, and so far I am a bit disappointed because it only creates a maximum pressure of 1bar (from what I can tell that is not sufficient?).

So my question is, should I just buy an airbrush set and give it a go? Or buy a whole set with compressor included?

I am building cars, and I am looking for is an airbrush that will enable me to apply a nice even layer of paint, nothing fancy.

So any tips?

Cheers

M

m1ks

Hi and welcome to the site.

I'd recommend that you (if possible), borrow an airbrush and try blowing some water through with the compressor, if you can maintain a good steady strong stream without fluctuations or pulsing you should be OK.

I suspect however that 1 Bar max pressure may leave you struggling for anything beyond quick spraying sessions.

The cheap chinese compressors build up to about 4 bar and can give out a consistent 1.5-2 bar which is plenty fine for a gravity fed brush and OK with the syphon ones.

If you can't borrow one a cheap chinese gravity fed brush can be had on ebay for about £12 + shipping so you could buy one, try it, if the compressor isn't up to the job get one of the cheap compressors, (£60 ish), I know it sounds pricey but compared to some name brands believe me it's cheap

N

norberto_grosso

Hi M1ks and thanks for the advice! Well, the guy who I got the compressor from was airbrushing textiles, and the compressor wasn't powerful enough for the job. So I guess I will be looking at a new compressor too... should I look out for a specific cheap airbrush brand? [what should I avoid? or go for?]

First Name
Dave
If you want a compressor that will do the job but dont have a lot to spend go along to your nearest 'Machine Mart'.I bought a small compressor from them for £70.It comes with a regulator and guage,but no water trap.The largest model ive sprayed with it was a 1/48 Halifax bomber and it did the jkb with no problems at all.