afrika korps - 2nd diorama

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hello all ... am attempting my 2nd diorama .. over the past month or so i have been working on the 3ton half track ... bit of a hard slog to be honest ...lots and lost of very small pieces. i have weathered it heavily as in my imaginatiion it has been strolling around the desert for a good couple of years so is a little battle weary. other components will be a anti tank emplacement with gun crew and a few afrika korps troops. depending on the space available there may also be a badly beaten up kubelwagen ... the anti tank gun will be on a rocky outcrop, the kubelwagen and half track down at the bottom with a rock strewn gully leading up to the gun. also maybe an area where the ammo and stores r being kept under some camo netting .. troops than placed strategically around .. this is quite ambitious for me but i will give it a go and see where i end up ....tx for looking lindsey

View attachment 50376

View attachment 50377

View attachment 50378

View attachment 50379

View attachment 50380

View attachment 50381

View attachment 50382

View attachment 50383

View attachment 50384

aaaa.jpg

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks good.

Might I make one suggestion? Very often desert vehicles had mud or some other substance applied to the windscreen leaving just enough clear glass to see through. This was to prevent the sun reflecting off the glass and giving away the vehicles position to any enemy aircraft within miles.

Here is a typical example.

Cheers

Steve

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
tx steve ... wil give that go ...rgds

lindsey

A

AJay

Looking excellent so far, Lindsey. I really like the weathered halftrack! :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice job so far Lindsey, keep it up.

I use well diluted PVA to do the windscreens as Steve suggests....Just apply carefully where you want the dust, then get some dust from wherever. I use the sweepings from the concrete garage floor. Sprinkle this on the windscreen then tap the residue off....Job done!

Good luck with the dio.

Ron

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking great Lindsey, this will be a very interesting diorama. Steve, I thought desert vehicles were just naturally dirty and noone cleaned them, so that is interesting info about the windscreens.

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there ... have been working on my diorama ... completed the 35mm anti tank gun and it's crew and have started on the diorama base ... hoping to add the tiling cement onto the base sometime tomorrow. Still working on the dak troops, a tent with a radio man and possibly a kubelwagen .... bit slow going but quite pleased with the work to date ...also added a pic of the scene that i found that i will use as a guideline

rgds lindsey

View attachment 51618

View attachment 51619

View attachment 51620

View attachment 51621

View attachment 51622

View attachment 51623

View attachment 51624

View attachment 51625

SANY0023.jpg

akclash_header.jpg

SANY0006.JPG

SANY0013.jpg

SANY0011.jpg

SANY0007.JPG

SANY0017.jpg

SANY0019.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I thought desert vehicles were just naturally dirty and noone cleaned them, so that is interesting info about the windscreens.
I found myself flying home from Edinburgh last week and as we approached Birmingham we were met by clear blue skies. Peering out of the window I tried to see the reflections from cars below and guess what? Some were flashing like heliographs,visible from miles away.

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

Nice work, looking good so far!!

You have chooise a original guideline, but I'm sure you will finished it with best result!!

Cheers.

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hey there .... a few more progress pics. tiling cement added onto the diorama, then a handy little helper painted it for me with some left over paint and then covered in little stones and some pool filter sand ...cheers lindsey ...(note .. also added mud to the windscreen of the half track as per Steve's advice ... worked out ok i think ....

View attachment 51947

View attachment 51948

View attachment 51949

View attachment 51950

View attachment 51951

View attachment 51952

View attachment 51953

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

M

mobear

fantastic work yoyr boy is doing.when do you start your bit?lol

mobear

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Coming along really well Linsey, a cracking piece of dio building mate.

Tony.

P

Polux

Wow!! That's looking wonderfull mate!!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lindsey, this is looking really nice. You have obviously given it lots of thought....and it shows!

I like it!

Cheers,

Ron

A

Andy

Thats cracking mate - will definitely be referencing your photos when i get onto my next diorama (cart before horse as current one hasnt really started!) as i plan on moving from the Russian front to Rommels campaigns in Africa. Well done!