"After The Storm"

T

The Mechanic

Hi All

This was my first bit of armour that I have built since I was at school nearly 30 years ago (damn, showing my age!).

It's the Revell SdkFz9 "Famo" with the 21cm Morser 18 AFG. Revells WWII Horse Draw Artillery set was used for the figures and to finish off the diorama.

Mick

S

Spyderman_uk

That is a really nice build!

I love the diorama as well.

What is the scale?

A little weathering on the wheels and tracks would really set it off.

B

Bazza

Excellent, nice build, agree that wheels and tracks could have a bit more weathering but hey great diorama. Trees look brilliant as well, did you make them yourself. Trees are really an art form in themselves, so well done on that score.

Bazza

T

The Mechanic

Thanks for the comments.

The kits are all 1/72nd scale from Revell. It is surprising how much goes into the Morser 18, but there are a couple of issues with it though. I found that a couple of parts were smaller then they should have been, so I had to make some new parts up. Also the towing frame was missing from the kit too. Got in touch with Revell in Germany, but they ignored my request for a replacement. So this had to be scratch-built in the end.

As to the weathering on the wheels and tracks, as the scene is to show the halftrack and gun after it has been driving down the road after a rain storm. The spray thrown up has made the weathering look darker then if it was dry. Prior to spraying the Johnsons Klear onto the lower half of the models, the weathering did stand out more then it does now.

The trees were off the shelf ready made. Due to the deadline I had to build this in, there wasn't enough time to make some from scratch. The stand is a MDF base, with the basic terrain built up from foamboard, then covered with Isopon P38 car filler. Various scenis scatter and sand was used for the scenery.

S

Spyderman_uk

For 1/72nd that is excellent!

This scale is very popular here at home due to space confines.

I think that due to it's small scale trying to show wet items is a bit of a no-no! You are not able to see enough detail in order to notice whether it is wet or not. Even things like puddles tend to look strange so are generally avoided.

Maybe if you matt down the wet areas it will restore it's dirty splashed appearance.

These are just my suggestions, not criticisms, as it is your model.

Well done.

T

The Mechanic

The lighting and flash doesn't help with show the wet conditions on the diorama. But if you look at some of the photo's, you can see the water in the gulleys on the road. On the grass, there is areas where the water is running away from the bomb crater. I'll try and take some photo's to show this after the diorama comes back from Telford this weekend. or if you're up there, have a look on the Milton Keynes stand. I'll be there myself on Sunday.

MIck

S

Spyderman_uk

I'll be there on Saturday and will look out for it if it is there.

S

Spyderman_uk

Saw it in the flesh, so to speak, today. It does look better than the pictures allow.

I still think the front wheels on haftrack need matting down slightly though.

Overall very impressive.

N

noble

excellent

This is excellent, i have also just taken the hobby back up after 18 years and i have just finished building the 1:35 scale tamiya version of the famo, i love the weathering, can you give me any tips as to how you did this i would be very grateful. Again an excellent diorama you obviously have a talent for this.

Scott