AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
The cobblestones look superb mate. Was it MUD who did the tiger stomp?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mud did “Tiger feet”, don’t remember “Tiger stomp”? Agree ref cobbles though....

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
.... ahhhh now i get the Roof subject... LOOOOL...and very well done for the cobblestones... :thumb2::thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Lovely work Mr R, all is forgiven for slacking off mate :thumb2:
Cobbles look very nice indeed. Is there any benefits from doing the dark wash first, as I normally work the other way around with wash last?
I’ve been doing cobbles and slabs in 1:72 so trying to glean some top tips :smiling4:
Keep it coming sir

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi John, progress looks good, even with the tea breaks! The crew do look a bit like a boy band doing a dance routine though!:smiling2: Cobblestones look really good:thumb2:

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
The cobblestones look superb mate. Was it MUD who did the tiger stomp?
That's it Paul..... Thank you .
Mud did “Tiger feet”, don’t remember “Tiger stomp”? Agree ref cobbles though....

Right Tim ..... Knew we'd get there in the end .

.... ahhhh now i get the Roof subject... LOOOOL...and very well done for the cobblestones... :thumb2::thumb2:
:smiling2: Cheers Greg...

Lovely work Mr R, all is forgiven for slacking off mate :thumb2:
Cobbles look very nice indeed. Is there any benefits from doing the dark wash first, as I normally work the other way around with wash last?
I’ve been doing cobbles and slabs in 1:72 so trying to glean some top tips :smiling4:
Keep it coming sir
Hi Si.....Actually I did a thin coat of a grey first, tried to dry brush the black wash on, of course as the grey was still wet didn't work. So wiped the surface with a piece of kitchen paper. This resulted in a much lighter grey, and nearly dry. The second coat was with black , just the 2 inch brush tip into the colour. Noticed this gave a better look to the sets, filling in the lines, so left it. A touch of " oh that worked " Don't know yet how I will attempt the mix of browns. ! Maybe by tomorrow I might have different feelings, but hope this works this way !

Hi John, progress looks good, even with the tea breaks! The crew do look a bit like a boy band doing a dance routine though!:smiling2: Cobblestones look really good:thumb2:
Hi Graeme.... Thanks , yes the dancing crew, I remember some time ago someone had posted their figures and they did look like they were dancing as well. When they are out of context they can look rather odd .
Thanks guys.
More with luck tomorrow.
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Sturm Stomp Fans ! .
No photos, but some more colours added to the base.
Tomorrow begins the brick imprinting, at only 2.something high its going to take some time.
Will do a proper update tomorrow, don't want some thinking I'm slacking in the South of France ! :smiling:
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
JR concerned he may have placed one of his figures in the wrong place

Tedo80-St3

(For humour purposes only)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all , was expecting the tribe from Devon to arrive this morning, but following a text from me warning them of a severe weather warning they have cancelled. Only coming for one day to go to a wedding, so seemed silly to me to risk all .No doubt to morrow may bring a sunny day :rolling:.

So as I was now free to return to the confines of the cave......

_MG_3701.JPG
A light wash coat of again cheap acrylics. . When dry I shall give a slight rub down with some 400 grit . just to give a slight added texture to the surface, dust off and then apply another very dark wash.

Meanwhile I have been sitting doing the brick work. Tried a ferrule, but getting a 2. something square edge was not possible, I filed the outer edge to remove the corners, but still not happy. Ended up using a scribe and rule, now attempting a 2. something width using form board is not easy, the length at nearly 7 mm is ok . A few lines went adrift, but when painted and wash applied they will blend in ._MG_3706.JPG

This has had a first coat of grey, will have another when this thinned first coat has dried, followed by a black wash. Again when that has dried it will have the sanding treatment with the 400 g . Dusted off and then the browns and red dry brushed on. Several differing shades of brown /red will be dry brushed on , and then a grey mortar pigment is rubbed in to the open joint when the paint is dry.

_MG_3707.JPG
_MG_3708.JPG
I start by dragging the brush side ways across the pattern, then .

_MG_3709.JPG
stipple the paint into the pattern. You don't need a true stippling brush, I use a very old good quality brush.

_MG_3714.JPG
The finished group. Note how lighter the front and back are ( not the top part ) compared to the Kapa Board sides. The cheap white board is a lot coarser in formation , where as the yellowish Kapa is much denser and imprints far better.

Hope to get the 2 nd grey coat on tonight, its in the kitchen at the moment drying nicely.:flushed:
Thanks for following, abuse from certain members expected, other of a more genteel politeness, refinement, or respectability are more than welcome to comment .:hugging-face:

John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John,
In my ever so humble opinion, you are doing exceedingly well.
Cheers, Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
You're doing a great job and learning a lot along the way. Looks good.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
In my ever so humble opinion, you are doing exceedingly well.
Cheers, Rick H.
Rick.......That's very kind of you to say, thank you.

Hi John
You're doing a great job and learning a lot along the way. Looks good.
Jim
Morning Jim.... Trying methods out is one of the best parts of modelling, esp on dioramas. If all fails I can either knock it down or ........set fire to it.:smiling3::smiling3:
John.

Rain this morning here in deepest Linc's, so no gardening :disappointed:, but moggling instead,:smiling:
Have a good one.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Buddy,

Rain here in the Fatherland too, along with cool temps. From the walls I see you are once again in your element and having fun. They look fine to me and I think you can put away the matches for now Pyro!!! Have fun at the bench John. Will PM ya later...

Prost
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morn Buddy,

Rain here in the Fatherland too, along with cool temps. From the walls I see you are once again in your element and having fun. They look fine to me and I think you can put away the matches for now Pyro!!! Have fun at the bench John. Will PM ya later...

Prost
Allen
Dude.... Look fwd to that. Promise no matches !:smiling2:
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It's raining here frequently as well getting the tail end of Typhoon Monkhut. The cobbles and brickwork are look just fine John. The cobbles would have some serious scuffing from the Sturm tracks.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice to see you in your element John, walls and floor work look great.:thumb2::smiling:
Richard might have a good one there, massive weight and steel tracks can chew up any pavement.

If you need any help with the lighting, just let me know, have a couple of diagrams that might be of help.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's raining here frequently as well getting the tail end of Typhoon Monkhut. The cobbles and brickwork are look just fine John. The cobbles would have some serious scuffing from the Sturm tracks.

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard....... Thanks.Your spot on there,as you will read below steps had been taken :smiling::thumb2:

Spot on there with the track damage. More below
Nice to see you in your element John, walls and floor work look great.:thumb2::smiling:
Richard might have a good one there, massive weight and steel tracks can chew up any pavement.

If you need any help with the lighting, just let me know, have a couple of diagrams that might be of help.
Cheers Fernando.....Might need to ask for help at that stage.

I haven't post the photos tonight but earlier I had gone over the sets with 200 g sanding paper. It removes enough when pressed hard to lift some on the sets edges, so this has given that look of worn and damaged stone. I also stippled the whole area with a black wash, this gives a textured look to the stone. Also did a few oil stains, really need to do another brown wash , just to give some highlights. The final bit for the floor will be a thin coat of mat varnish, followed while it is wet a thin application of very fine soil. This will be obtained by recovering the micro deposits of soil when you rinse out a garden bucket, it always leaves the finest layer of soil, ready graded ! Collected and dried in the MV .
The walls were dry by this morning, and had a another black wash. Say dry, even after having gone over the surface with the hair dryer I notice that the black when over thinned looked more like grey !
Hopefully If time permits a first dry brushing on the bricks will happen.
Have yet to work out the 4 folding doors, and what they will be made of. Really timber would be my first choice, but I have a good selection of plastic card, which can be given a fair woodgrain effect. Thinking Hat on .
Thanks for looking in and for the likes and comments, makes it all worthwhile.
John.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: