AFV Scimitar FV107 build

P

Plastickitbasher

Going to step out of my comfort zone and have a go at building a tank.

Now as a kid I never built anything but Airfix tanks but since returning I think I've built two tank in about five or six years lol.

So I have the AFV Scimitar FV107 never built a kit from AFV before mainly a Tamiya kit builder so I am going off the normal track.

Going to do this as an OOB so here goes!!

the box and sprue photo's

View attachment 54550

View attachment 54551

View attachment 54552

Three pics for now will do some more later

View attachment 56763

View attachment 56764

View attachment 56765

Scimitar_0001.jpg

Scimitar_0002.jpg

Scimitar_0003.jpg

F

Fenlander

I am a big fan of AFV Club kits. OK, they have made a few errrmmmm..... well, dogs but in the main they are up there with the best. They do, like Dragon, tend to be a tad 'over engineered' but they are well worth the effort. My main tip with AFV Club is, as with most kits, make sure you are sure where a part goes and dry fit everything before you commit to glue. Take your time and really study the instructions.

Really looking forward to seeing this one grow David.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks nice david , I always fancied doing the airfix 1/76 scorpion/ scimitar when i was a kid so ive a soft spot for this light tank, looking forward to seeing the build , cheers tony

P

Plastickitbasher

Small update

Hello all

I've made a start on this light tank

View attachment 54749

The fit of the suspension arms was a little loose, so to make sure they all lined up I used a cocktail stick through the holes just make sure all was in line and straight!!

Now at this point a word of warning the two parts marked as D7 in section three on page three has been printed incorrectly as the correct part number is C7.

View attachment 54750

I've used quite a bit of Mr surfacer both 500 and 1000 I know I know it won't be seen but I know it needed to be done and it has to be done proper!! lol

Now on to the bit that I'm not so keen but I have been having a wheelie wheelie good (sorry bad pun) but had to do it lol

View attachment 54751

As I've decoded to do the British Army (UN) version the wheels have been painted with Vallejo's off white as I thought white might be a little to white for a model of this size, I still have the tyres to paint but that's for one evening in the week.

View attachment 54752

I've started on the upper hull section but need to do the other side again another job to be done one evning this coming week.

More photo's to come later as I do more.

Graham, thanks for tip about reading the instructions. AFV Clubs instructions are a little vague as there is an early version and a late version as there are two sets of drive sprokets and idler wheels but no clearly defined drawing as to which is which, so going a bit slower to make sure I get it right.

Much preffer Tamiya's instructions.

Regards

David

View attachment 56948

View attachment 56949

View attachment 56950

View attachment 56951

Scimitar_0004.jpg

Scimitar_0006.jpg

Scimitar_0005.jpg

Scimitar_0007.jpg

B

Boldman

Looking forward to seeing this build up - I love these vehicles and this year alone build a Scorpion from the Falklands Campaign and then during the summer did the mega-build that was the Operation Herrick Scimitar with bar armour.

The only major thing wrong with the Scimitar kit is the tracks which are a little too tight, so make sure the drive and idler wheel installations are fully set before you attempt to rig the tracks on them. Alternatively do as I did and get the Fruilmodel metal tracks - they only cost about £26 ;)

Good luck!

J

John Huggins

Will be keeping an eye on this one David, good start.

John.

P

Plastickitbasher

Update number two.

This build is moving along rather nicely.

View attachment 55111View attachment 55112

Lower hull now painted with the first coat of off white, would have been better if I had remembered to the last two suspension arms hey ho never mind all will come out ok in the end.

View attachment 55113View attachment 55114View attachment 55115

Work on the upper hull is now almost complete a couple more parts to go on and rub down the little on the filler work, then it's primer time. I have drilled out the exhurst just to give a little more depth.

View attachment 55116View attachment 55117

Started on the the turret, the join between upper and lower turret halves needed a little filler, still need to clean the join but it's looking good.

That's all for now..

More updates in the new year.

View attachment 57309

View attachment 57310

View attachment 57311

View attachment 57312

View attachment 57313

View attachment 57314

View attachment 57315

Scimitar_0015.jpg

Scimitar_0016.jpg

Scimitar_0010.jpg

Scimitar_0011.jpg

Scimitar_0007.jpg

Scimitar_0012.jpg

Scimitar_0012a.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
airfix never built one of those kits...at 1/35 you need the detail....and so far you are doing a great job look forward to seeing more pics

J

John Huggins

Nice start David, look forward to the rest of the build.

John

P

Plastickitbasher

Update number three

erm sorry ran out of batteries for my camera and got a little carried away with build.

View attachment 55714 View attachment 55715 View attachment 55716 View attachment 55717

The turret is kind of looking ok the paint job is rough and a little patchy not sure what I've done wrong.

View attachment 55718 View attachment 55719 View attachment 55720

Upper and lower hulls joined again the paint jos rough and patchy this can be seen in the third of the photo's any help ideas as to what I've done wrong

would be most helpfull

Paint = Vallejo Model Paint thined with tap water

Airbrush settings about 55psi controlled down through a Iwata MAC to about 15psi.

Water to paint mix about 65% water to 35% paint.

View attachment 55721

Bending PE was slow and done with my heart in my mouth but done a good job.

Hopefully I can rescue the paint job, any ideas guys please help.

Regards

David...

View attachment 57853

View attachment 57854

View attachment 57855

View attachment 57856

View attachment 57857

View attachment 57858

View attachment 57859

View attachment 57860

Scimitar_0017.jpg

Scimitar_0018.jpg

Scimitar_0019.jpg

Scimitar_0020.jpg

Scimitar_0021.jpg

Scimitar_0022.jpg

Scimitar_0023.jpg

Scimitar_0024.jpg

P

phalinmegob

i am guessing that the paint was a bit too thin mate and looks like it has gone on as more of a wash if you know what i mean

B

Boldman

my trick for bending the PE to form that cylindrical radiator is to start with an 8mm drill bit and fold it around that to start the curve, then take it down to a 7mm drill bit and progressively down to 6mm then 5mm then finally to 4.5 mm which is smaller than you want but the springiness of the brass will take it back to the correct size. You did a good job on it!

P

Plastickitbasher

Thanks guys.

As for the paint I'll cut down on the amount of water and see how that goes...

Another question I've seen a couple of photo's with canvas covers for the grills do/would the British army use them or not?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi David i used to be in the 13th/18th Royal Hussars ( now the Light Dragoons ) in the 80's and we never used covers for the grills but that doesn't mean other units didn't Hope it helps

S

Saber

First tank build is looking good I am now on my second one makes a nice change and you can but mud all over em :smiling3:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2