aichi val d3a1 ...type 99 (1/48 Hasegawa)

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
had this kit for a couple of years ....will build it and use the build to try and enhance some skills ...focussing on cockpit detail, paint chipping (inspired by Ajay's work on his george), panel lines etc .....the aircraft itself was part of the 33rd flying (33-203) group formed in feb 1942 operating out of a place called balikpapan (a seaport city in Borneo) . Still trying to find out some more detail of operations it was involved in ... tx Lindsey

View attachment 39523

08756.jpg

A

AJay

Look forward to seeing this build, Lindsey! You know how I love those Japanese birds. Good luck with the chipping and happy to have inspired someone.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice lindsey! ive got the revell reboxing of this kit in the stash , it looks a beauty,and the val had some great colour schemes too, cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Been turning Japanese myself lately looking forward to the build!

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
First Name
Dave
Looks good Lindsey.Im going to try the salt method on my Zero.Still waiting for Vallejo aluminium paint to harden before i try it.

T

treyzx10r

Look'n sharp. Love the salt method its a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing more!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very nice build this... I remember many, many years ago the Airfix 1:72 of this aircraft.... I would love Tamiya or Hasegawa to do a 1:32 scale....

A

AJay

Great build, Lindsey! It's a good-looking aircraft with those large wheel-spats.

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there ... initially i was quite pleased with my val but after looking at the pics yesterday i was bit disappointed with some of the aspects of it ...so back into the shed it went for some touch ups:

cleaned up up the demarcation line between the upper green and lower gray .. used masking tape this time ...well duh!!

removed the small canopy at the end of the cockpit - should never have been there in the first place considering i had built it with the canopy open

used filler to fill in the gaps for the windscreen .. was not sitting flush with the aircraft.

touched up some of the paint here and here and removed some of the chip marks where they just did not seem to be right.

weathered the panel lines on the upper surfaces a wee bit more

probably being pedantic but they were errors which could be corrected easily enough ..... mental note for the future projects "take a bit more care over the small details ...photos will show up all the little boo boo's"

tx lindsey

View attachment 41993

View attachment 41994

View attachment 41995

View attachment 41996

View attachment 41997

View attachment 41998

val.1.jpg

val.2.jpg

val.3.jpg

val.4.jpg

val.5.jpg

val.6.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Lindsey ,very good looking build and the fixes came out great! I think we all are our worst citics,it looks fine to me!!!