Aifrix 1/72 Chinook and a possible diorama coming on here =D

M

MishO

With things coming to a temporary standstill with my spit after running out of diorama bits, I picked up a 1/72 airfix chinook HC.1 at the other one of my two local hobby places ;)

I bough this over the tamiya ju-88 in the same scale as I went o RAF Odiham last year with the air cadets for a week, and Im basing it on one of the choppers i went in.

Ill put a pic of me and some other cadets on the wokka's ramp, followed by some progress ones later :smiling3:

Im the one sitting on the left of the ramp :P

As you can see there is a lot of hydrolics and wires to be recreated in the build.

Mike

Last edited:
T

tonyb6000

Ouch! Good luck with those hydraulics, hope you got nimble fingers!

Great idea BTW. I always like to find a personal attachment to a model, usually from reading a book I like. Sadly, never actually riding/flying the things. Jealous!

Tony B

M

MishO

We never got a flight as the regs say their not allowed to take cadets low level flying and the like. cant say we werent dissapointed!

I need ideas of materials for the hoses thicker cables, maybe rolled up bluetac coated with glue? I have wire for smaller jobs though

Mike

T

tonyb6000

I'd stick to stuff you can find, that way it will have a uniform thickness. You could get heat shrink to go over wire (any wire, even a paperclip). Can give a good finish. My local model shop has all types of brass tube, but it's not cheap. Try smashing up an old broken Walkman (historical reference- we used them in the past to listen to music) and sees what you finds. Here's a pic of something I designed at uni. I used brazing rod covered in heat shrink to replicate a gas damper. Sorry the image is actually pants!

Tony B

View attachment 21749

case down.jpg

M

MishO

Walkman??? Could this be a.. a... An ancient prehistorical ipod predecessor??? o.O shiiiiiny...

Im sure the little bro must something nicked from a electronical sevice, either for his trains or to make one of his wonderful contraptions *facepalm* but cheers for that, ill have a hunt around in the loft and my bros train stuff

mike

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi mike ,this is going to be interesting,cant wait. As for the different size hoses etc try getting a couple of cards of fusewire ,its only about 50p and you usually get about 3 or 4 different amp wires of differing thicknesses.Very easy to cut and bend ,just attach with superglue , also for thicker hoses try getting hold of some solder ,again can be picked up at places like wilkinsons for about £1 , easy to bend and cut too. hope this helps , cheers tony

M

MishO

Or I could 'borrow' some solder from school ;) Im not sure if theres any fusewire there though, ill take a look in the scrap box for that :smiling3:

Ill be putting a pic of the cockpit up in the next few hours

Mike

T

tonyb6000

Sorry Mike, I should have said fuse wire. Get it from Wilko's. It's 39p and you get three thicknesses. For bits and bobs like this, you should check out the unconventional materials thread in quick tips:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/quick-tips/7842-unconventional-modelling-materials-list-7.html

Tony B

M

MishO

may have to go to wilkos next weekend then :smiling3:

what thickness are they? even if its only a rough idea?

Mike

T

tonyb6000

Erm, they are measured in amps.

All under 1 millimetre I would say. Don't have it to hand. Can be hard to find in Wilko's, as none of the adolescent staff have ever heard of fuse wire (present company excepted). Look in electrical, opposite curtain poles? (maybe your Wilko's is the same as mine) Its on a piece of card about the size of an iPod-man.

Good luck

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Mike,

I don't know if you have a local (old fashioned) hardware shop or market stall in your area. They used to sell a variety of different electrical cables in all sorts of sizes from a roll. You could order what you wanted and they would cut it to length and it was only a few pence per metre. I seem to remember seeing round cable from about 1 mm diameter up to about 3 mm diameter and these would do for air ducts and trunking in small scales. The fuse wire and solder already mentioned will do for your cables.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
mike,while youre there pick up some solder too, its on the tool section i think .Its in a clear plastic tube and its about £1, the diameter is about 1.5mm. cheers tony

M

MishO

I have written this down and will be heading into town saturday, Gern - I dont think so, but Ill look on the interwebs :nerd:

Mike

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
mike ,the larger wilkos also sell electrical cable by the metre, all different sizes, 15 amp twin and earth is quite useful once stripped. something else to add to your list!!! cheers tony

M

MishO

my pens starting to run out ;o)

would this be much per metre?

Mike

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
no ,not much at all ,probably less than a pound a metre. cheers tony