Airborne's Falklands GB candidate - Sgt Mather MM

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As it's the 1st of April I thought I'd crack on with this build - I'm really looking forward to it even though it's something new! Two views showing parts and detail front and rear of the figure (one boot attached already as I wanted to see how it fitted to the rocky outcrop - which I neglected to include!). Will post two or three 'in progress' photos as it develops!
SteveIMG_0658.jpgIMG_0657.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The parts look all good Steve. The M16 barrel needs cutting and repositioned as I recall.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The parts look all good Steve. The M16 barrel needs cutting and repositioned as I recall.

Cheers,
Richard
I pinged that Richard but the part is very fragile with a minimal contact area - may just leave it be and add some 'hessian' scrim as a disguise!
Syeve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's an update - figure assembled but unprimed. Wasn't happy with the position of the right arm as it looked as if it was waving in the breeze so I've added Milliput to the outcrop to allow re-positioning with a view to making it look as if he was closer to reaching in to the Bergan for the headset etc. A smidgin of filler needed as a result. Prime it tomorrow then start the paint job! I'm loving this already!
Steve
IMG_0667.jpgIMG_0666.jpgIMG_0665.jpgIMG_0660.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Actually doable as the misplacement starts at the base of the front sight and the barrel grip is slightly warped upwards at the front. You've got to cover the whole barrel with hessian if you're going that route. Its not like the Ak47. Your build Steve. Anyway of replacing the gun? Just a thought.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Actually doable as the misplacement starts at the base of the front sight and the barrel grip is slightly warped upwards at the front. You've got to cover the whole barrel with hessian if you're going that route. Its not like the Ak47. Your build Steve. Anyway of replacing the gun? Just a thought.

Cheers,
Richard
Thought of that too mate - plenty of time yet!
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's an update - figure assembled but unprimed. Wasn't happy with the position of the right arm as it looked as if it was waving in the breeze so I've added Milliput to the outcrop to allow re-positioning with a view to making it look as if he was closer to reaching in to the Bergan for the headset etc. A smidgin of filler needed as a result. Prime it tomorrow then start the paint job! I'm loving this already!
Steve
View attachment 450312View attachment 450313View attachment 450314View attachment 450315
Looks good and I think the barrel can be hidden with hessian as you suggested now looking at the composition. :thumb2: Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good and I think the barrel can be hidden with hessian as you suggested now looking at the composition. :thumb2: Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers,
Richard
No worries mate, these things often require a degree of thought and shennaniganism!
Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The detail looks amazing Steve. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking good Steve :thumb2:

The detail on the figure are great and I like how you are adjusting it to tell a story.

Geoff.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think I'll probably do the same Mark, won't need a sling as sling swivels are removed! Is that weapon from the same figure?
Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Looks good. Very appropriate for the GB. Probably easier to adjust the ground rather than the figure so that was a good call. It's worked very well.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steve, when replacing the barrel make sure it's aligned with the bolt and cartridge chute. I remember the M16 being a fairly accurate rifle and shouldn't be shooting upwards. :smiling2: Part of the hazards of resin warping.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve, when replacing the barrel make sure it's aligned with the bolt and cartridge chute. I remember the M16 being a fairly accurate rifle and shouldn't be shooting upwards. :smiling2: Part of the hazards of resin warping.

Cheers,
Richard
Of course mate - I've had loads of experience in toting this particular beastie and I've always been disappointed at scale depictions - why they always try to replicate that slim barrel (and the SLR's) in resin utterly eludes me! Thanks!
Steve

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Of course mate - I've had loads of experience in toting this particular beastie and I've always been disappointed at scale depictions - why they always try to replicate that slim barrel (and the SLR's) in resin utterly eludes me! Thanks!
Steve
Steve
Most resin and white metal weapons warp or are crude. Many figure modelers have replaced or scratched new ones.

Cheers,
Richard