Airbrush 1/8" BSP QuickRelease Coupling Adaptor leaks air !!!!!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all can anyone help I've just ordered the above from eBay to use with my Iwata BR. I already have an adaptor that I'm currently using with my CR but wanted A new one so I could swap from one AB to the other. I just needed the male connector but it was cheaper to order a whole new quick release adaptor. It arrived last week. I tried just using the male connector with my original quick release but it leaked air around the connection point. I then tried the new one complete and that one leaked in the same area. Having contacted the seller he sent a replacement which arrived yesterday. This one has exactly the same problem. I tried the adaptors in different combinations and the only one that works is original one. The seller has since said that it is down to back pressure and was I using a narrow black hose? which I'm not it's just the standard rubber braided hose that I got with my compressor. Has anyone got any suggestions on where to get a quick release connector, I only need the male part, that is going to work or how I could solve the problem with the existing ones I have?

Vaughan

View attachment 41695

quick release.jpg

T

Tony R

Hi Vaughn,

I've had the same problem with those QR couplings . The problem is the thread on the AB not quite matching the coupling cap, which means there is not a good contact with the 'O' ring in the cap to create an airtight seal . Remedy?? - get yourself another small 'O' ring (you can get little boxes of them in most £ shops) and put that into the cap on top of the existing one .... Problem solved!

By the way, I think you can only buy the complete couplings, not the cap on it's own, and you may find the same thing with all of them ... I use several different makes of AB's and I've found that remedy works every time.

Tony R

Last edited:
E

Edgar Brooks

Go to a DIY store, and ask for a roll of plumber's PTFE tape, which you wrap around the thread a few times, then screw the fitting home. The thread will cut away the tape, where it needs to, and fill any gaps elsewhere. Every time you remove the fitting, you'll need to replace the tape, but it shouldn't be overly expensive.

Edgar

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the advice guys. The problem is that the air is not leaking from where the male coupling screws onto the AB but it is in fact leaking from where the male fits into the female coupling. It doesn't seem to make a proper seal when pushed fully home. So not sure how that can be fixed. I might take up John's suggestion and purchase one from him.

Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
I might take up John's suggestion and purchase one from him.
If you do I will test it before sending it to make sure there are no problems, not that I've ever had any with them.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for that John. Will order one. Would it be a good idea to order a complete quick release coupling and an extra male end so that they are all compatible with each other and then you can test them both? I think we have the same compressor, braided hose and Iwata airbrush so if it works with yours it should work with mine.

Vaughan

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I would order all the bits together then you know they will all fit without any problems

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
John what would be the all in price including postage.

Vaughan

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
John what would be the all in price including postage.Vaughan
If you add them to your basket and go to checkout it will give you a full total.