Airbrush nerves

J

Jan007

I have just got back into modelling, never used an airbrush but going to give it a go. I have bought myself an Iwata Neo which has 0.35 needle. As I will be mainly building larger scale model aircraft so larger area coverage, can I use a 0.5 needle with this Neo or am I stuck just using the 0.35??

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
You shouldn't have a problem with needle already in I wouldn't have thought you would need to get a larger needle.

D

dubster72

As John said, you'll be fine with that. For greater coverage, just keep the airbrush further away from the model. I would thin the paint a little more than usual to prevent it drying before it hits the surface though & maybe upping the pressure.

Experiment on some scrap before the real thing.

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Practice,practice and then practice a bit more! You can move further from the model for better coverage but be wary of moving too far as you will have problems. Just take your time and fill in larger areas bit by bit. I model mostly 1/32 scale and use an IWATA with that size needle/nozzle with no problems.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I once read that setting up a large board and writing with the brush is one of the best ways to practise. Try it, the more familiar you are the better and writing gives you good manipulation practise.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I once read that setting up a large board and writing with the brush is one of the best ways to practise. Try it, the more familiar you are the better and writing gives you good manipulation practise.
But it gets you used to bending your wrist which is not a good thing. (even though we all do it sometimes).

Sheet of paper, and paint long lines, as thin as you can, as even as you can then repeat with thicker lines.

Remember with larger areas to aim to get the 'wet' part of the spray to overlap the 'faded' spray of the previous run.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

You've completely floored me there Ian, why is bending your wrist not a good thing?

If you are brushing a curved surface, such as a ship's hull, don't you have to bend your wrists to ensure the nozzle remains perpendicular? I always believed that bending your wrist was key to ensuring consistent coverage and it's something I practise to try to get right.

If you don't bend your wrist surely you then have to move your whole body, or at least your entire arm to keep the brush at the right distance and angle, which has to be considerably more of a challenge.

I think it would be very interesting to see what other experienced modellers think of thier own techniques and how they compare.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never really thought about it!

I'm actually away from home at the moment and have been making what must seem to a casual observer some very bizarre movements replicating what I think I do when airbrushing.

I don't think that I do bend my wrist to any significant extent but then neither do I move my whole body. I think most movement comes from the elbow and a bit from the shoulder.

I think we are all agreeing that the vital thing is to keep the angle of the brush to the subject correct,as well as the distance. I'm entirely self taught so it may be I've just developed a method that works for me that is technically incorrect.I would hesitate to claim that I was "right" and anyone else was "wrong".

I had a similar problem when,having played drums for years, I had some "proper" lessons.

Like Richard above I'm interested to see what others do.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Think Richard the not bending wrist thing is to keep the brush parallel to the work you are painting so you have a even thickness & character in paint film.

If you think of manual brushing painting a window frame you keep your wrist solid at the same angle especially when you are cutting in.

If I came to a corner I think I would keep the wrist frozen & move the arm. Actually it is much easier to move the arm than the wrist.

Like Steve I self taught. Hate rules they are the absolute terrible drag of modern society they disregard & dismiss all innovation & imagination. I always try to do my own thing then read the instructions then toss the instructions away. Cricket is a point in fact. Since the limited overs games batsmen have improvised & added to their taught strokes innovative unorthodox ones & produce such exciting cricket.

My philosophy is do your own thing & if it works for you that is success.

Laurie

Last edited: