Airbrush oil?

A

AVB99

From tome to time I see ads for airbrush oil? Does anyone use this? If so, where within the airbrush? When I deep clean my airbrush I find that there is paint pretty well everywhere within the airbrush. This being the case, surely the oil would contaminate the paint?

Aidan

C

Caledonia

Hi Aidan, I use the superlube oil each time I clean my airbrush, you put a spot between your forefinger and thumb and run the cleaned needle through it to apply a very thin coating. You can also occasionally put a drop or two into the trigger area to ensure smooth operation.

I recommend you use it.

Cheers Derek

D

dubster72

Could WD-40 be used for this? Just something I've wondered about for a while.

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Could WD-40 be used for this? Just something I've wondered about for a while.Cheers

Patrick
I squirt a little WD40 through my airbrushes after I've cleaned them. I spray a cup of the relevant thinner before painting again and have never had any trouble. Some people think I'm crazy for doing it but it's been working for me for years.

Cheers

Steve

A

AVB99

Thanks for your posts. Obviously my knowledge of airbrushes is sadly lacking. If the paint is in touch with the needle and there is oil on the needle. no matter how little oil, won't this contaminate the paint? Obviously as you guys are using oil, it does not do so but I'm keen to know why.....

Aidan

D

dubster72

The reason I asked about the WD-40 was because I thought the oil would sheath the needle & the paint run atop/along it, rather than mix with it - you can see I'm no chemist! Thanks Steve, I'll give it a go on some scrap & see how it performs.

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've done this before using acrylic and enamel paints. I don't think that the acrylics remove the layer of WD40 on the needle or other parts. Harsher thinners for enamels might do but I've not noticed any deliterious effects in the paint.

Patrick, I just put a little squirt (using that little plastic tube that everyone loses) in the cup and spray it through pulling the needle back and forth as I do so. Flush with a cup of the appropriate thinners for your next paint job.

Cheers

Steve

R

RickBrown

I'd stay away from WD, its good for freeing up bearings (cleans the back wheel of motorbikes quite well too!) but is useless as a lube. Iwatas Supalube's the way forward. I just use a very, very small amount on the needle and trigger plunger. If you blast some Iwata cleaner through the airbrush before use,it'll remove any of the lube and it wont contaminate your paint.

Rick.

BTW, morning Steve!

Last edited:
D

delmonteman

\ said:
(cleans the back wheel of motorbikes quite well too!) BTW, morning Steve!
Makes the engine all nice & shiny too. Just ignore the big grey smoke cloud when you hit the start button!