airbrush question

K

kurt tank

hi ,i am new to using a airbrush and i was wondering can you put enamel paint on top of acryllic and acryllic on top of enamel.

thanks

E

Edgar Brooks

No, and possibly, but never try anything without experimenting, first, on something that won't cost you a fortune.

Edgar

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Depends what exactly you are using,but generally acrylics will go over enamel.The other way around is likely to be a mess as Edgar suggests.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

General rule is LEA

Lacquer - Cellulose for brits

Enamel

Acrylic

In that order, you can put enamel over cellulose and Acrylic over Cellulose and Enamel.

I always use Enamel as a primer and either enamel or acrylic over that, the golden rule is make sure the base layer is properly cured.

However, there are exceptions, you can safely spray Alclad Lacquer over Enamel, i've done this succesfully several times BUT you do only spray very very light coats of this and build up gradually, so in theory you can do the same with a cellulose based topcoat over enamel if required, cellulose thinners is a 'hot' chemical and can eat into the enamel and acrylic and even styrene so caution is the watchword and practise on scrap before committing yourself.