Airbrush Splatter.

J

JFJ

Hi everyone,

My airbrush splatters and sometimes there are bursts which form a wet patch of paint on the model. This is the first time I'm seeing something like this. Suggestions will be helpful. Thanks

Adrian

F

Fenlander

Sounds like either a partial blockage in the nozzle, needing a full strip clean. Possible tiny, but to an airbrush, lumpy bits in the paint which clog then blow free making it spatter or the mix is a bit thick for the air pressure. Could also be a damaged needle tip but that would be more constant rather than intermittent.

B

Bunkerbarge

It could also be the paint you are using, old paint or not mixed enough are both possibilities as are incompatability with thinners.

Does your compressor have an air reservoir?

J

JFJ

I mixed the paint from Tamiya acrylics, not very old, maybe a few weeks old? I cleaned it up by running lots of thinner through the airbrush to clear the airway of any blockages

T

tonyb6000

I have a similar problem. I only have a small compressor with no reservoir but it does have a water trap. I found that because I bring the compressor in from the garage to use it, and there is a long hose from the compressor to the airbrush, the cold air was condensing and causing water spatter. I have seen some articles that advise pointing a fan at your compressor to keep it cool. I suspect my science may be flawed here, so feel free to correct me! Generally, I tend to bring the compressor in an hour or so before I use it, then connect eh airbrush and put the compressor on the table, hold the airbrush lower that the table so any water molecules in the hose can run down to the airbrush and give it a good blast into some tissue. It seems to clear the worst of it but after a while using it I get the odd spit. It only needs the tiniest amount of water to create a big splat so I tend to blast some air through before any spraying just to clear any potential drips. In the end it is hard to stop it happening but you can come to anticipate it!

Hope that helps.

Tony B

T

tonyb6000

Damn smileys! The happy face in shades should read "cool"

J

JFJ

:laughing: Well my compressor was bought at this sale at a hobby shop for about $180 so I don't have high expectations of this one. Do you think the prob could be with the compressor and not the airbrush?

cool

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am more inclined to think its the paint. Either to thick or air pressure is to low, this will cause the splatter you describe.

C

Caledonia

As well as all the good suggestions above, where are you airbrushing??, with all the cold weather we had last year I had problems airbrushing, after a lot of googling the general concensus was don't airbrush below +10 Deg C. Last winter I warmed the utility room with a fan heater before and during airbrushing and had no problems after. Cheere Derek

B

Bunkerbarge

If this hasn't happened before first job as Graham suggests strip and clean your airbrush. Second ensure you are using best paint and if it persits we have a different issue which could be related to air temperature, humidity, compressor performance.

You still haven't told us whether the compressor has an air reservoir, this could well be significant in identifying what is going on here.