Airbrush Virgin!

M

Macca

Hi all,

I've recently got back into a bit of model making, mainly WW2 armour and Aircraft and I've decided to buy an airbrush... Except I've got no idea what I'm after!? I don't want to buy somthing from Ebay that'll only last 5 minutes and give rubbish results, but i also don't think i'll be good enough to get the most out of a really good expensive one? Also would a kit be better than buying everything seperate?

Cheers

Neil

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
About 6 months ago I went through the same thought process. I got an airbrush kit for about £100 including a compressor and a cheap syphon fed Chinese airbrush. I found the airbrush was OK and was definitely a help in practising and developing airbrush skills. I also learned more about what I really needed in an airbrush.... A couple of months later I went online and bought an H&S Evolution 2 in 1 Silverline, gravity fed with a fine pressure control, it cost me about £150 and was a great buy. Still use the same compressor and gave the cheap airbrush to my son.

My suggestion is get a kit by all means but with a slightly better compressor rather spend more on an airbrush. Make sure the airbrush you get is gravity fed and double action, they are available for as little as £20. If like me you then decide to upgrade later you will at least have a decent compressor and wont have wasted too much dosh on the airbrush.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Neil Barry has given some good advice. I spent many month researching airbrushes and ended up buying two a BR and a CR Revolution made by Iwata the BR has a smaller needle for finer work and the CR has a larger needle and cup for more general use. Both you can buy from John at The Scale Model Shop I spent £100 on a compressor with an air tank and I have never looked back. It is a large investment but I'm glad I spent the money. If money is an issue there is a cheaper range of Iwata airbrushes called Neo which start at £42 these too can be bought from the shop. I hope this helps.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

First off Macca with the airbrush their are decisions to make.

There are different types of airbrush.

1. Single stage. This you just push down the trigger & the paint comes out generally there is no adjustment to your paint flowing through the airbrush.

2. Dual or two stage airbrush. You push down the trigger & all you get is air. Pull back the trigger & paint flows. However you have complete charge of how much paint flows in proportion to the amount the trigger is pulled back.

Some will say start with a Single stage. My advice & I started with single stage go for Dual it takes very little time to acquire the basic skill of using it.

I went for a Harder & Steenbeck dual stage which you can swop needles/nozzle sizes. I use mostly a .2mm needle nozzle that is for so far 1/72 & 1/48 models. This is my experience as I have not used other airbrushes (except a single stage other manufacturers brush horrible) & I am sure that are a number of good airbrushes. Best to search & read others experiences on this one.

Compressors.

I had originally a compressor with an air tank which had a fault & I then bought a compressor with out a tank. The tank ones are about twice the cost of the tankless. If you are going to spend a good part of your day airbrushing you need a tank. If like most model makers you are using the airbrush intermitently then you do not need a tank. But you need in each case a piston oil less type compressor.

Both types do the same job no difference in finish which I have gained from experience of both. But with the tankless compressor the motor will run all the time you are airbrushing. With the Tank type the motor runs only when it is topping up the tank. If you are using the compressor for long periods the tankless motor will run hot & its life will be shortened. If you are running this type intermittently the motor has time to cool down. If you are building a 1/48 aircraft which I am I doubt that I have used the airbrush more than one hour during that time if that & that in probably 10 sessions.

Get a compressor with a water trap attached & also a water trap in the feed line to the airbrush. I am catching water in both of them. Also get a feedline with a quick release for the airbrush. This facilitates cleaning ie you can take the airbrush to a sink to give it a good clean. Also you need a comprssor with an adjustable airflow.

Also best to get a liquid airbrush cleaner by the manufacturer of the paints you are using. Imperative a reamer to clean out the nozzle & a set of brushes & a set of cleaning picks.

Then spend hours practising on empty plastic water bottles.

Laurie I now need a cup of tea !

T

tecdes

Macca forgot an item.

Airbrushes come in either a top gravity feed cup over or to one side of the airbrush or siphon feed (bottle under the brush).

The first airbrush I had was a siphon & I found it a pain in so many ways. Most modelers use the gravity feed as it so much more convenient for instance for mixing colours also for cleaning.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can of worms time!

I would suggest that you start by going to a shop that sells several different brands and have a good look at them and hopefully handle them. A lot is to be said fr how they sit on your hand.

Gravity or siphon cup is in my opinion a matter of taste. I use both types and can see no difference in performance.

Things to consider also include the availability of spare parts! I have a very good airbrush from Airmax. but the spares are expensive...a needle and a nozzle costing almost as much as a new airbrush.

I would also suggest saving a bit longer and buying a better airbrush from the start.

My take on compressors is this: If you have one with out a tank, you could risk problems of pressure drop. Thing of the air tank as a never-ending supply of constant air pressure. Yes tank compressors cost more and take up more room but they will last much longer than a pump running continually. An other effect of that is the air coming through the air hose is nice and warm.

So many things to think of.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's my two bob's worth.

Go for a dual action brush,the best you can afford.If you buy a single action brush you'll be swopping for a dual action before you can say"thinners".

Go for a gravity feed. Easier to clean and you tend to waste less paint. I agree with Ian that there is no difference in performance,just practicle considerations.

Go for a compressor. Compressed air cans are uncontrollable and ultimately expensive. Definitely a regulator and water trap (which come as standard on most). I would get one with a tank for the reasons Ian gave. You also get a constant air flow,no pulsing.

Once you've got your set up the best advice I've seen was from Laurie above.....practice.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

All good advice, all I can add is my cleaning how to, nothing fancy required, the only addition is a 0.6 interdental brush to clean the emulsion tube at the front.

Model tips, How to clean your airbrush after Enamel & Acrylic paint use - YouTube

M

Macca

Wow! Thanks everyone, there's a fair bit to take in! Will need a cup of tea before i even start!

I went to the I.P.M.A show in Telford last weekend and had a play with some Iwata stuff they were selling, I found the Dual action ones quite natural to use and liked the extra control of air and paint mix (although my results wouldn't agree!). I'm happy to spend a little bit more as long as its good value and hadn't even thought about spares availability! Probably won't get one until Xmas but will let you know what i get and post up some pictures of the results!

Cheers again for all the advice, bit of a daunting prospect to start with!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for starting this thread Neil.

I'm a brush painter who would like to get into air brushing but don't know how to start or what to get.

All the information has been really helpful.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Neil.

Don't forget to check out the forum shop. Not only will you get the best service you have EVER had, you will be very glad with the prices. (At a rough guess I would say you can save about £20 buying from John).

Ian M