Airbrushing - To lid or not to lid

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
My AB has a lid for the cup but I never use it, should I be doing? does it do anything to help? I have worked on the theory that not all AB have lids so I guess they don't need them, and I wrong?

M

msm2

I sometimes use the lid and it all depends on what I am spraying at the time. Most of the time I leave it off while using the AB.

Tony..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I never use it either, and I have only 'forgotten' the bit about not trying to turn the AB upside down twice!!

I dont think its a mistake you will make to many times.

Ian M

G

Gomer Pyle

Well I have have sometimes cursed the fact that I have no lid for my AB. It usually happens when I weather and need some random patterens were my hand sometime jerks and jitters from too much enthusiasm.

/Daniel

M

m1ks

I occasionally use the lid for mine if I have a real cup full of paint as once or twice i've moved the brush back too sharply after a pass and splattered paint all over me and the floor, (Aren't laminate floors great).

I have a brush with interchangeable cups and the smallest doesn't have a lid anyway, I generally find them a fiddle if you need to mix up more and refill and one more part to clean, it doesn't alter the way it sprays, not so i've noticed anyway.

F

Fenlander

If you watch the very good video you sell on 'Modulation Style' John, you will see that they recommend using the lid. I very often do since slopping Alclad all over my trousers and shirt...........

B

Bunkerbarge

I always think it is that bit safer having the lid on. You only have to ruin one pair of trousers/shirt/carpet/shoes for it to be worthwhile.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
So apart from ruining cloths, carpets etc and maybe spilling there's no other reason to use it? it doesn't improve the spray or reduce splattering for example

S

sprayman

The good thing about not having a lid is you learn to airbrush more steady and relaxed, and helps you overcome the urge to rush and jitter your airbrushing, so come on everyone get them lids off....lol

In my experience lid on or off has no effect on your airbrush work or any effect of the paint, unless your at work with me useing a pressured cup, then yes the lid needs to be on....lol

Last edited:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I don't believe what I did, I was spraying a base and got a blockage turned my ab round to look at the nozzle and poured paint all over my dio base, fortunately no harm done I was priming and managed to clean it up without too much problem

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I very often do since slopping Alclad all over my trousers and shirt...........
Been there,done that! You cannot shift that stuff either. I had to bin the trousers in next doors bins before Police commissioner SWMBO noticed the crime.

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

If I am spraying a large area and the cup is fairly full, I will use the lid, not the first time I have slopped paint out of the cup onto the model. Cheers Derek