Airfix 1/48 Lynx; A Danish pirate hunter.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I s'pose I better post some thing. It seem like an age since I put a build up.

The kit is of course the Airfix Lynx in 1/48. I have already made a start I will spare you the sprue shots.

The standard Danish option that is in the box has a few differences to my reference pictures, so a bit of scratch building was called for.

This is the first time I have built a chopper, so I am actually surprised at the differences in building an fixed wing aircraft.

Here's the cock-pit / cargo area.

More later, but this is at the moment a slow progress as I have a few other things going on at the moment.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice of subject ian , ive always liked the look of the lynx in dark blue . It looks like a really nice kit so far , hats off to Airfix for keeping up their recent high standards, cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For others that have this kit on their to do list take a lot of care when you assemble the "office" If its just a tiny bit off canter, you will be spending a couple of days sanding, dry fitting and sanding some more, to be able to get the fuselage to come together around it. Creative clamping it the order of the day!!!

Ask me how I know :confused:

Ian M

V

Vajled

cockpit is great... and I can see you have solve uncentric problem...

hope will turn out great

Roman

M

mobear

not a lynx barbiecue then? as the good lord did say `we shall over come this adversity`lol.looking good

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I know its grill season but ...... :-i

Ian M

T

tecdes

Very nice Ian. As you are aware I am building the Wessex & I am very envious of the detail inside the cockpit of your Lynx. Nice in that with the larger windows in a helicopter you can see so much more of the inside.

Like you found building a helicopter is so different from a winged job. The rotor blades have driven me mad masking them they are so fine on the edges. But well worth it.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Laurie. I was looking at the Wessex, but as you have now found out its way to Sikorski OOB. There is a conversion set for it that turns it into a good Wessex, So I might try one later. First this one, then and Army version, then a Royal Navy version...I know I like Lynx.

The clamps are staying on until the morning and then I'll have a go at getting the tail on.

Funny thing I have never built a helicopter and I now have two more Lynx and a Sea king in the stash. (and probably a Wessex before long ;) )

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good choice Ian, we need more helicopters. I really like the look of the Hase' seaking, but not the price !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Colin. I don't like the price of the Hase kit either, I bought this off a chap on a Danish Forum, £30 posted! so it would of been rude not to buy it even if it was a USAF one. So with all the money I saved I can buy the conversion set from Flight Path to turn it into either an RAF of RN Sea King.

Well it would seem that the Fuselage was not to much of a problem. Got that all glued up and have started trying to figure out which bits to put on the out side.

I don't know if its just me but the instructions are a bit confusing. You can build three versions, shown as 1, 2 and 3. 1 and 2 has options A, B and C, the third has to options A and B.

The first section of the instructions has diagrams for version 1,2 and 3 which are also marked ABC. Then the next few pages just state A, B or C. No mention of which version......So if you are going for one of these kits, its colour crayon and a cup of tea before you get stuck in.

Looking like a Lynx now!

And so the other side.

And just a bit of time for a shameless plug for a web site that has a huge collection of Photos of Lynx helicopters.

http://www.amarc.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=26:helicopter-pictures&Itemid=31&layout=default

Loads of Danish Lynx (its a Dane that has the site) but also a good few British ones.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Missed a few updates but they where just primer. The latest update is a bit more interesting.

IT'S BLUE!

And the other side:

The rotors are painted but need masking to paint the arms. So that will be the next job.

I think one of the things that is throwing me is that when I paint an aeroplane, they are 99% built with just a few bits to add after. With a chopper its more like 70% done and then loads of bits to add...

Still getting used to that.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well after a bit of swearing and cursing I think I got this finished.

I'll post the resulting pictures up soon in the finished aircraft section.

Thanks for looking in.

Ian M